View Single Post

Thread: Sphinxfolk (possible at LA+1?)

1. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Sphinxfolk (possible at LA+1?)

Hmmm that's definitely symmetrical but I'm not sure about the flavour. Mythology has two broad types of Sphinx:

1) The Egyptian Sphinx, a representation of the Pharaoh as a righteous divine entity (hence the Divine Ancestry feat).

2) The Greek Sphinx, a monstrous riddler (hence the Riddle of the Sphinx feat, which I admit I'm not happy with).

There's not really precedent for a fiendish template, but then again the Greek Sphinx was arguably a divine entity (her sister the Hydra had an immortal head, her father Typhon stood toe-to-toe with the gods in battle...)

Basically, a fiendish Divine Feat would be "balanced" I don't know about it, flavour-wise. I suppose it would be easy enough to incorporate into Divine Ancestry though: "If you are good-aligned, you gain the celestial creature template. If you are evil-aligned, you gain the fiendish creature template. If you neither good- nor evil-aligned, you gain either the celestial creature or fiendish creature template (once you select a template, that choice cannot be changed)."

As for the outsider feat, I feel like it would have to be next in a chain (with Divine Ancestry as a prerequisite). Maybe something that upgrades the celestial/fiendish creature template you get from Divine Ancestry into a full-blown half-celestial/half-fiendish template. Flavour-wise you wouldn't be an acolyte of the gods so much as becoming one yourself (in keeping with the Egyptian Sphinx).
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-08-02 at 01:01 AM.