1. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​II: I Am The Night!

Lots of animal motifs here.

The Clan of the Poisonous Arrow Frog

Spoiler: backstory
    Show

“Hello, sir. This is a fine mill you have here. Wonderful view of the town square. I know you’re a busy man so I won’t take up more than a few moments of your valuable time. Thanks for opening the door, most people don’t.

I don’t categorize my life in terms of boyhood and manhood. There’s no great war or famine or disaster I use as a signpost to mark the passage of time. Not my betrothal to my beloved nor the birth of my first son. When I think of time, I simply categorize it in two stages:

Before and After.

It’s hard to describe why exactly I left my old life behind and joined the clan of the poisonous arrow frog. After all, it’s no secret I’d never had the stomach nor the arm for combat Before. But After, none of that really seemed to matter much anymore.

Don’t think we’re one of these cults of personality. It’s not one individual we follow, you see, but ourselves. The spirit of our community can, well—I suppose “possess” is a word some people use, but it’s not one I particularly favor—I prefer inspire; it can inspire us to do great things. Things that strike awe into the hearts of man, woman and child alike. Elves like yourself too, of course. I’ve even seen an orc display the spirit of our clan.

As a matter of fact, I think it may be about to happen now. Would you indulge me a moment, sir? It’s just right in the square. A few of my brothers are gathered there for a demonstration. Could you just turn your head? You wouldn’t even need to leave your lovely home. You’re in for a real treat. Would you look at that?”

“By the spirits of the heavens and hells, did you see how high that man just jumped?”

“Welcome to After, sir.”

Spoiler: class breakdown
    Show

NE neraph factotum 1/incarnate 4/ factotum 3/ ninja spy 7/exemplar 5/ninja spy 8

Spoiler: abilities
    Show

str 10
    dex 16
    con 14
    int 16 (increases here)
    wis 12
    cha 8

Spoiler: table
    Show

CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1 Factotum 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 bluff 4, diplo 4, disguise 4, forgery 1, hide 4, listen 4, ms 4, spot 4, tumble 3, umd 4 skill focus (jump) Inspiration, cunning insight, cunning knowledge, trapfinding
    2 Incarnate 1 +0 +2 +2 +2 tumble 2 (4), disguise 2 (5), jump 1 (4.5) Aura, detect opposition
    3 Incarnate 2 +1 +3 +2 +3 tumble 2 (5), disguise 2 (6), jump 1 (5) weapon finesse Chakra bind (crown)
    4 Incarnate 3 +1 +3 +3 +3 tumble 2 (6), disguise 2 (7), jump 1 (5.5) Expanded soulmeld capacity +1, incarnum radiance 1/day
    5 Incarnate 4 +2 +4 +3 +4 tumble 2 (7), jump 3 (7) Chakra binds (feet, hands)
    6 Factotum 2 +3 +4 +4 +4 bluff 3 (7), hide 3 (7), umd 3 midnight dodge Arcane dilettante (1 spell)
    7 Factotum 3 +4 +5 +4 +5 bluff 3 (10), hide 3 (10), tumble 3 (10) Brains over brawn, cunning defense
    8 Ninja Spy 1 +4 +7 +6 +7 balance 5, bluff 1 (11), disguise 4 (11) Exotic weapon, ki breath, poison use
    9 Ninja Spy 2 +5 +8 +7 +8 bluff 1 (12), disguise 1 (12), hide 2 (12), ms 7 (11) darkstalker Slow fall (20 ft.), improved evasion, sneak attack +1d6
    10 Ninja Spy 3 +6/+1 +8 +7 +8 bluff 1 (13), disguise 1 (13), hide 1 (13), ms 2 (13), tumble 3 (13), extreme leap Exotic weapon, acrobatics (+10), leap of the clouds
    11 Ninja Spy 4 +7/+2 +9 +8 +9 bluff 1 (14), diplo 4 (8), disguise 1 (14), hide 1 (14), ms 1 (14), spot 1 (5), tumble 1 (14) Slow fall (30 ft.), hide in plain sight
    12 Ninja Spy 5 +7/+2 +9 +8 +9 diplo 7 (15), spot 1 (6), nimble stand open chakra (shoulder) Water walk, sneak attack +2d6
    13 Ninja Spy 6 +8/+3 +10 +9 +10 disguise 2 (16), assume quirk, listen 3, spot 3 (9) Exotic weapon, slow fall (50 ft.)
    14 Ninja Spy 7 +9/+4 +10 +9 +10 bluff 3 (17), disguise 1 (17), second impression, listen 4 (7) Thousand faces, acrobatics (+20)
    15 Exemplar 1 +9/+4 +10 +9 +12 umd 12 (15) staggering strike Skill artistry (jump), skill mastery (listen, jump, disguise, hide, bluff)
    16 Exemplar 2 +10/+5 +10 +9 +13 disguise 3 (19), jump 6 (13), umd 4 (19) Lend talent (one-half penalty), skill mastery (move silently)
    17 Exemplar 3 +11/+6/+1 +11 +10 +13 disguise 1 (20), jump 7 (20), listen 4 (11), umd 1 (20) Bonus feat (improved initiative), skill mastery (tumble)
    18 Exemplar 4 +12/+7/+2 +11 +10 +14 disguise 1 (21), hide 1 (15), listen 10 (21), jump 1 (21) maiming strike Skill artistry (disguise), sustaining presence, skill mastery (umd)
    19 Exemplar 5 +12/+7/+2 +11 +10 +14 disguise 1 (22), hide 7 (22), jump 1 (22), listen 1 (22), spot 3 (12) Persuasive performance, skill mastery (spot)
    20 Ninja Spy 8 +13/+8/+3 +12 +11 +15 disguise 1 (23), hide 1 (23), jump 1 (23), listen 1 (23), ms 7 (21) Poison immunity, sneak attack +3d6

Spoiler: sources
    Show

planar handbook: neraph
    dungeonscape: factotum
    srd: skill focus, weapon finesse
    magic of incarnum: midnight dodge, open chakra (shoulder), incarnate
    exemplars of evil: maiming strike
    complete adventurer: exemplar, staggering strike

Spoiler: playtips
    Show

Spoiler: lvl 5
    Show

Bounce around the battlefield, stay mobile, and enjoy your weapon finesse. You can rely on dex and incarnate’s versatility to help you out. Soulmelds stay useful throughout your whole career, especially evil incarnate’s necrocarnum melds , but at low levels especially, throwing another body at an enemy with necrocarnum circlet’s zombies is a big deal. You’ve got a good deal of flexibility and can already do many character staples on your own such as fly so take advantage of it.

Spoiler: lvl 10
    Show

You were a good frog and paid your taxes on time, so now you’re in the most straightforwardly ninja-themed portion of your build. Ninja spy is one of my favorite classes and offers a variety of useful, flavorful abilities along with offering you significant tankiness via a monk chassis. You gain a bunch of exotic weapons, making your weapon finesse really count by picking up stuff like the spiked chain. Now your acrobatics are up, you can get around the battlefield even easier than before, and neraph pulls its weight with a further +5 racial to jump checks. Your melds boost a variety of skills, including the ones boosted by ninja spy’s acrobatics, getting your numbers even higher.

Spoiler: lvl 15
    Show

More ninja spy, more goodies. As long as you’ve got some shadow in 10 feet, your HiPS doesn’t lie and you can skulk around in broad daylight if you like. You have alter self at will, so make use of standard outsider options such as tiefling and aasimar for everyday adventuring forms and goodies like the abyssal maw for combat. Look however you want for as long as you want and no one will be able to tell the difference. You’re also in exemplar and can now make ninja spy’s terrifying bonuses to athletic skills work even harder for you in the coming levels. Your shoulder chakra is open, making your melds more versatile, and you can save the cerulean sandals for someone else since ninja spy has you covered in that regard too. Thanks, ninja spy.

Spoiler: lvl 20
    Show

Stagger enemies with your sneak attacks, which due to hips and your disguise skills, magical powers, and skilltricks to stay hidden til it’s too late, you ought to be able to do plenty. Neraph also lets you deny enemies dex to AC when charging or using thrown weapons in certain circumstances, so throw that on the pile as well. Damage charisma on a charge with maiming strike and disappear into the shadows. And when you do more or less anything now (jumping, disguising, etc) you will convert pretty much anyone who sees you to your banner thanks to exemplar’s characteristic persuasive performance ability thanks to your +20 from ninja spy, +5 from neraph, skills, artistry, skill focus, synergy, melds, et al. Once you’ve got that, hop back into ninja spy for poison immunity and some more precision damage and call it a day.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-08-16 at 09:21 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Extended signature!