View Single Post

Thread: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

1. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I've been reading up on the Anzillu again, trying to get some ideas for what the pre-fall political arrangements of the world might have looked like.

Skipping back a little:

Snakes from the waist down! FWIW, I feel like the Faceless, the Lamia, and some integrated Deva/Nephilim caste are the juiciest options at the moment, but... if you really twist my arm:

* Tirzuk- maybe nocturnal to the point of using echolocation, and communicate at frequencies humans can't hear or pronounce, leading to reliance on sign language for barter or diplomacy?
    * Gaz- thousand-year lifespans, so immensely skilled and dangerous by human standards (like elves by all rights should be), along with large populations thanks to reduced metabolic demands? Haven't taken over world because... <reason X>?
    * Wilder- chameleon-style camouflage/communication? Human subspecies? Alternatively, maori-style intense tattooing as a form of animistic magic?

If you wanted, you could make certain 'species' a question of magical recessive genetics within the human population, like blue eyes or lobeless ears or D&D-sorcery. And Indian cultures obviously had some funky stuff going on with reincarnation cycles and gender-bending, if you wanted to mix those in.
    "Magical recessive genetics" is kinda what I was going for with the aforementioned "strangeblood" -- humans who have a far distant ancestor or two who "intermingled" with one of the other species... or darker things... in days long gone, when lost fertility rites and Anzillu amusements made such pairings more likely to bear fruit. It can go

I was actually thinking of having one of the species, maybe the Gaz, reincarnate with more and more access to their past memories as they mature.

If I include the Deva/Nephalim "caste" you're thinking of, I'm not sure if they should be playable or so bound to their station that they'd not really be playable.

( PS: when your post included "snakes from the waist down all the way" I was going to say "Yeah, having a snake tail and then feet at the end would be too much. )

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    EDIT: So... do you want to spitball any ideas for colony-cities further up or down the coast?
    I'll see what I can post to help inform that, in terms of what's going on in those areas (culture and civilization).

Heads up, I'm going to my first GenCon ever this weekend, so I'll be busy packing tomorrow night, on the road Friday morning and in the convention Friday afternoon, Saturday, and part of Sunday, and then back Monday -- in case I go quiet or don't reply to something for several days?

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-08-17 at 08:31 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.