Such a good boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Greenblood

Rory Greenblood, Will of the Elders
N Forestlord Half-Elf Ranger 3/Druid 1/Half-Elf Paragon 1/Arboreal Guardian 4/Justice of Weald and Woe 5/Arboreal Guardian 10

Stats
Spoiler
Show
Str 10
Dex 16 (Increases here)
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 10

Build
Spoiler
Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
1st Ranger 1 +1 +2 +2 +0 Craft (Bowmaking) 4, Handle Animal 2, Hide 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 1(2)Knowledge (Nature) 4, Move Silently 4, Survival 4 Point Blank Shot, (B)Urban Tracking Favored Enemy (Arcanists) +2, Urban Tracker, Wild Empathy
2nd Ranger 2 +2 +3 +3 +0 Craft (Bowmaking) 5, Handle Animal 3, Hide 5, Knowledge (Nature) 5, Move Silently 5, Survival 5 (B)Rapid Shot Combat Style
3rd Ranger 3 +3 +3 +3 +1 Craft (Bowmaking) 6, Handle Animal 4, Hide 6, Knowledge (Nature) 6, Move Silently 6, Survival 6 Great Fortitude, (B)Heat Endurance Heat Endurance
4th Half-Elf Paragon 1 +3 +3 +5 +1 Craft (Bowmaking) 7, Jump 1, Hide 7, Move Silently 7 Green Bond Bonus Feat, Divided Ancestry, Elven Vision
5th Deadly Hunter Druid 1 +3 +5 +5 +3 Knowledge (Nature) 8, Survival 8 (B)Track Swindlespitter Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Vermin Wild Empathy (Rootwalker), Monk AC bonus, Track, Favored Enemy (Undead) +2
6th Arboreal Guardian 1 +3 +5 +7 +3 Craft (Bowmaking) 8, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Survival 9 Weapon Focus (Longbow) Bond’s Call, Forestwalk
7th Arboreal Guardian 2 +4 +5 +8 +3 Hide 10, Move Silently 9, Survival 10 Nature’s Water, +1 Natural Armor
8th Arboreal Guardian 3 +5 +6 +8 +4 Hide 11, Move Silently 11, Survival 11 Unhindered Charge, Wood Speech
9th Arboreal Guardian 4 +6/+1 +6 +9 +4 Handle Animal 5, Hide 12, Move Silently 12, Survival 12 Dead Eye +2 Natural Armor
10th Justice of Weald and Woe 1 +6/+1 +9 +12 +4 Hide 13, Move Silently 13, Tumble 2 Spells
11th Justice of Weald and Woe 2 +7/+2 +9 +12 +5 Hide 14, Move Silently 14, Tumble 4 (B) Precise Shot Bonus Feat, Woodland Stride
12th Justice of Weald and Woe 3 +8/+3 +10 +13 +5 Hide 15, Move Silently 15, Tumble 6 Ranged Pin Sneak Attack +1d6
13th Justice of Weald and Woe 4 +9/+4 +10 +13 +5 Hide 16, Move Silently 16, Tumble 8 Lucky Shot, Trackless Step
14th Justice of Weald and Woe 5 +9/+4 +11 +14 +5 Hide 17, Move Silently 17, Tumble 10 Poison Use
15th Arboreal Guardian 5 +9/+4 +11 +14 +5 Hide 18, Move Silently 18, Spellcraft 1(2) Craven Hunter’s Mercy, Blindsight
16th Arboreal Guardian 6 +10/+5 +12 +15 +6 Hide 19, Move Silently 19, Spellcraft 2(2) +3 Natural Armor
17th Arboreal Guardian 7 +11/+6/+1 +12 +15 +6 Hide 20, Move Silently 20, Spellcraft 3(2) Nature’s Defender, Quench 1/day
18th Arboreal Guardian 8 +12/+7/+2 +12 +16 +6 Hide 21, Move Silently 21, Spellcraft 4(2) Practiced Spellcaster (Druid) +4 Natural Armor
19th Arboreal Guardian 9 +12/+7/+2 +13 +16 +7 Hide 22, Move Silently 22, Survival 14 Tree Stride 1/day
20th Arboreal Guardian 10 +13/+8/+3 +13 +17 +7 Hide 23, Move Silently 23, Survival 16 +5 Natural Armor

Spells
Spoiler
Show
Spells per Day/Spells Known
Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
1st - - - - - - - - - -
2nd - - - - - - - - - -
3rd - - - - - - - - - -
4th - - - - - - - - - -
5th 3 1 - - - - - - - -
6th 3 1 - - - - - - - -
7th 4 2 - - - - - - - -
8th 4 2 - - - - - - - -
9th 4 2 1 - - - - - - -
10th 4 2 and 0*/2 1 - - - - - - -
11th 4 2 and 1*/3 1 - - - - - - -
12th 4 2 and 2/3 1 and 0*/2 - - - - - - -
13th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 1/3 - - - - - - -
14th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 2/3 0*/2 - - - - - -
15th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 2/3 0*/2 - - - - - -
16th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 3/4 1/3 - - - - - -
17th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 3/4 1/3 - - - - - -
18th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 3/4 2/3 0*/2 - - - - -
19th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 3/4 2/3 0*/2 - - - - -
20th 4 2 and 3/4 1 and 3/4 3/4 1/3 - - - - -

Justice of Weald and Woe Spells Known
1st: Camouflage, Faerie Fire, Obscuring Mist, Woodwisp Arrow
2nd: Brilliant Energy Arrow, Spellslayer Arrow, Spider Climb, Tree Shape
3rd: Arrowsplit, Darkflame Arrow, Serpent Arrow, Wind Wall
4th: Bloodfreeze Arrow, Doublestrike Arrow, Shadow Arrow

Backstory
Spoiler
Show
“Oh Rory it’s so good to see you! It’s been ages since your last visit.”
“It’s good to see you as well, ancestors, but I was just here last week. I’ve got lots to do to fulfill my duties to the Spirit Wood. But I’ll be here every week to see how things are going. How are things in the forest?”
“So nice of you to ask. We’ve finally got over that bit of fungus that was so troublesome, and the weather is finally getting warm enough to be comfortable. Winter’s just too cold here. Young Terrence is almost ready to join the guardians, and old master Wilhelm is getting ready to retire. I think he’ll be joining us in the Spirit Wood before too long. I heard that one of the other Arboreal Guardians was caught trying to get potions from a tree he wasn’t bonded to. What are things coming to!”
“They bring shame to us all, noble ancestors.”
“You were always such a good boy Rory. You know just what to say. Oh that reminds me, I made a few potions for you when you need something on the road. Don’t you dare say no to me, I know you can use these when you’re off running about with your friends.”
“Of course I’ll take them. I shall earn them through my continued service.”
“There was one more thing, Rory. It’s a shame that such a thing should happen, but we need you for situations like this. There was a traveler by the name of Liam who came upon our wood half-starved and gravely ill after getting lost. The servants of the wood nursed him back and we tried to tell him the importance of our sacred wood, and how he must not tell of what he has seen, but you know how untrustworthy humankind can be. He was gone this morning without any warning, and he’s taken one of the monastery’s texts with him.”
“Say no more. I will hunt him down and kill him quick. I shall return with what he stole by the next week.”
“Oh Rory it’s so nice that you’re helping us. All the best, and don’t forget to call when you’re gone Rory! We have that telepathic bond for a reason, you know!”

Level 5
Spoiler
Show
Forestlord Half-Elf is a nice race for this round, providing a thematic tree-related link, and the ability to make short range jumps through trees. Ranger provides a solid base to start an archery-focused build, with rapid shot when you full attack. The several ACFs here are to prevent any overlap, so ranger gets urban tracking and heat endurance (because +2 on saves vs fire is more useful than regular Endurance) and druid gets Track, vermin wild empathy, and monk’s AC bonus. Both have favored enemy, which might be a little weird for interaction. For ranger I’ve chosen arcanists, because all creatures casting arcane spells or invocations is a very broad umbrella. For druid I’ve chosen Undead, because they’re a common enemy. I’m assuming that getting favored enemy twice doesn’t “stack” so there’s only a +2 bonus for each.

If you’re surprised to see Half-Elf paragon, I’m equally surprised I used it, but it provides a bonus feat at the right time along with the bonus to spot and search, so we’ll make a brief stop there before druid. Druid gives entangle for entering into the SI, and a helpful companion in the form of the swindlespitter, who has poison that blinds on contact, with secondary Con damage. Skills are going largely toward entry prerequisites at this point, but you can do some competent stealth and tracking.

Level 10
Spoiler
Show
We’ll be spending several levels in the SI in preparation for our next PrC. These 4 levels will advance druid casting twice, giving access to 2nd level druid spells. In our tree-themed build, you know what that means. It’s time for the acorn of far travel. When you cast it, for a day per level you are treated as standing under the oak tree the acorn came from. So you’ll constantly have a boost to speed and the ability to run and charge through all plants, including trees, which means your enemies won’t know if you’re getting ready to teleport or just keep moving forward. You can talk to your spirit tree whenever by virtue of counting as being next to them, and you can easily find the direction to them so you can return whenever the spell runs out or you want some potions.

Potions from the tree will help to fill gaps in casting with utility like flight, or spells to boost your stats. Pulling from the right list can get you stuff like discounted stoneskin or dimension door.

Being able to cast 2nd level druid spells will help out with buffing through things like woodland veil for hide/ms and bite of the wererat for combat, along with kelpstrand to grapple and mass snake’s swiftness for extra attacks, and healing with lesser vigor.

Weapon Focus is your final prerequisite, but does help offset the penalty of rapid shot. Dead eye makes your Dex pull double duty so that you can focus on one stat.

The first level of Justice of Weald and Woe begins us with spells, in the chart they are after the “and” and per day and known are separated by a slash to save space. The bulk of the spells known are from Champions of Ruin with a few utility ones from the srd. Camouflage is a good one to start with too boost your hide higher, and woodwisp arrow allows you to negate cover your enemy gains from wooden shields or from the trees in the forest.

Level 15
Spoiler
Show
More levels in Justice of Weald and Woe bring with them the rest of the goodies we’re looking for. Woodland stride is now fully active even when you’re not running or charging, and you can rely on the SI to let you run through trees. The bonus feat goes to precise shot, which means no penalty shooting into melee, which comes up a lot.

Sneak attack allows for craven to boost damage, which will come up when you’ve got someone in kelpstrand, or when you’ve used ranged pin. You can grapple at range, and use it for every arrow you fire, so you can fire a few to make sure someone’s grappled. You can buff your strength using potions from your spirit tree to win the grapple check. An enemy might be able to escape from it on subsequent rounds, but the important thing is that they’re grappled for your turn, so you can sneak attack them. Trackless step is a simple no to tracking, and lucky shot boosts the important attack roll you’ll make in a day. Poison use means you can use downtime to prepare poison on your arrows. The ability itself mentions creating natural poisons, but gives no rules for how so we’ll just ignore that bit. With your animal empathy for animals and vermin, you should be able to milk some poisons for use on your arrows. Your animal companion has contact poison, so you can make your arrows blinding (and maybe some Con damage). Remember that blinded enemies are vulnerable to sneak attack, and with you and your companion forcing saves it’s only a matter of time.

We have what we want from Justice of Weald and Woe, so it’s back to the SI. Hunter’s mercy provides an automatic critical hit with your arrow, especially useful if you’ve got a relevant weapon enhancement. Blindsight is something that’s hard to beat, and goes out to 30 feet, which is the range you’re working at with dead eye and point blank shot.

As for spells, we finish off firsts with obscuring mist to enable hiding and faerie fire to counter enemy stealth (and probably counters obscuring mist for them).
For seconds, tree shape is a higher form of stealth, since you can still see while a tree. Spider climb is great utility, and can place you high in a tree for sniping. Brilliant energy arrow shoots through anything nonliving so negates armor and provides light. Spellslayer arrow is the real winner, dealing 1d4 per spell a target has running on them with no save, devastating against someone who’s buffed before the fight.
In the third category, darkflame arrow provides good extra damage, and arrowsplit lets you hit one target with several arrows, like manyshot without penalties.

Level 20 (Sweet Spot)
Spoiler
Show
Arboreal Guardian from here on will be progressing Justice of Weald and Woe’s spellcasting for more sweet arrow spells. Quench can be used to put out forest fires or counter those attacking with fire. Tree stride can be used at the end of the duration of your acorn of far travel so you don’t have to spend time traveling back to refresh your acorn. Your natural armor is now at +5, which is big enough to matter and helpfully doesn’t interfere with your Wis to AC. Nature’s defender is a bonus to just about everything, and once again you should have it running 24/7 from the acorn of far travel. Practiced spellcaster brings the duration up to 7 days, so you have a full week to adventure wherever before you return to your spirit tree. Your survival modifier is high enough that you should be able to find things reliably, and you’ve got max hide and ms for sneaking.

Finishing spells, wind wall prevents your enemies from shooting you as easily as you’re shooting them, and you can move out from behind it easily to shoot. Serpent arrow is hilarious; it makes your arrows into tiny vipers that bite the foe to poison when they hit and then staying around attacking them until killed. They at least have to waste an action getting rid of them while you shoot more arrows. Doublestrike arrow hits two opponents with a single shot. Shadow arrow resolves as a touch attack and deals 1d6 Str with no save. This makes it a great candidate for hunter’s mercy, doubling the strength damage. bloodfreeze arrow deals extra cold damage and paralyzes. Note that unlike the other arrow spells, this one does not need to be fired immediately after casting. This means that you can spend your unused slots at the end of the day making bloodfreeze arrows for later. Paralyzed targets are also vulnerable to sneak attack, so you can use subsequent attacks with other arrows for lots of damage.

Sources
Spoiler
Show
Forestlord Half-Elf: Dragon Magic
Justice of Weald and Woe, Craven: Champions of Ruin
Ranged Pin: Complete Warrior
Dead Eye: Dragon Compendium
Favored Enemy Arcanists: Complete Mage
Urban Tracker: Cityscape Web Enhancement
Heat Endurance: Sandstorm
Rootwalker ACF: Dungeonscape
Swindlespitter: Monster Manual III
Acorn of Far Travel: Far Corners of the World
Ranger, Druid, Deadly Hunter ACF, Half-Elf Paragon, Point Blank Shot, Great Fortitude, Urban Tracking, Weapon Focus: srd