1. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Revamped Races (human, elf, dwarf, orc)... LA+1? Pathfinder-balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    1. Dwarves moving at 1/2 speed compared to elves and orcs would put them in an obvious disadvantage most of the times where land speed is a factor.
    Yes, agreed. I was balancing them against the original races but now they can stand a boost back up to 30.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    First: I love these!, Second; sorry for the double post. Third: Time for a Peach

Hmm, so you could thoretically cancel these out ofr a +2 to any score... with no penalty. I think this would be fine though.
    Hmm, seem alright, but my problem is that these are not balnced against each other, especially mystical with the all powerful UMD but UMD is always a pain for those that cheese it . And I would still take Illicit over this because I find most the skills there get more use (Bad for this: Climb, Balance?, jump, use rope VS bad for illicit: forgery and open lock (due to knock) along with disable device (depending on play style of course, I made knock give a bonus in my game on checks so these are actually better skills to have)

If a spellcaster or heavy UMD does not take this they either do not need it or they want the human BF of the normal

small quibble, I would probably give them knowledge (local) while not the best skill it matches with gather info nicely even if you do not use it as much (my players use it more, b/c I made it synergize a lot, course I hand out more skill points )

And you just took the thing that half elves were used for, diplomancers (are we gonna get a half elf rework? B/C I believe Elrond was )

Climb and jum are garbage most the time. 'til you make your party climb a mountain made from foreign invaders out of solid cold iron which rapidly drains nearby magic that is .

Damn, there goes the thought that people might stop wanting to play a human all the time .

like these better then the previous adjustments

Hmmm, i would replace this with powerful build... See Goliath. i feel they are still small size in LotR

I like this for two reasons,
    A) Thematic
    B) it makes the choice of a spell caster to grab charm person not nearly as effective

I would add something about overland distance and forced march (the dwarves of the iron hills (?) come to Thorin's aid and march nonstop to do so, I think)

[insert cheer]

Love the dwarves so far

There is a feat (no idea where or what the name is) that gives you proficiency with racial weapons, I usually let everyone have it although it doe snot do much for humans

Blech, replace use rope with knowledge (dungeoneering) as that covers your underground.

Could have sworn elves were older then dwarf race... and immortality should be in here somewhere.

Nice switch from frail to ethereal I like it

Hmm I know it is not too Tolkien, but for dnd style I would put law and chaos in there

Next Elf I draw up will be using this now... but 10 is a rather large bonus/penalty... maybe 6?

Unless you redid it, in which ase you should put the link to yours as they are much better.

orcs look good, but I think they could use a small power boost as the rest are better (but then, aren't they exposed to be )

I personally would make it at level 1, but then adventurers do travel and need to adapt so I guess leave it... (illicit/mystical human sounds fun)

Needs "DR from this ability stack with other sources of DR" type clause

Hmmm, always take 10 on UMD...

And now 20 on UMD...

Just noticed that they are medium... uruk Hai should get this as a bonus feat XD

An orc with one of these? A dwarf? More expected this to be an elfie thing...

As always, this is a beaut. Keep up the good work!
    1. Human ability scores can now be used to duplicate the Pathfinder ability scores, BUT they can also allow a bit more min-maxing. Humans are meant to be the most versatile race, after all!

2. All adaptations are not created equal, no :D I basically started out with the themes and the extent of my balancing was just to give each theme 9 skills haha. I made a feeble attempt at trying to weight each skill according to its utility but that was quickly going to drive me crazy. The advantage of the adaptation is to use it to compensate for the class skills you don't already have; I do see how Mystical would be the default adaptation for powergamers but hopefully the campaign theme will tempt players to try others - Social for an urban campaign with a lot of role-playing, etc.

3. Powerful build was on the drawing board for dwarves, yes! I just couldn't decide if they should be Medium with access to the Orc feat (allowing them to take on their traditional enemies the Giants on equal footing), or Small (with the associated benefits) with an automatic powerful build quality.

4. Re: fey type - yes, it always bugged me that dwarves, elves, orcs etc, are all "humanoids". I'm considering switching Orcs to monstrous humanoids instead of fey though.

5. Increased Slow But Steady to just Steady (30 foot movement, ignoring armour). Could add Endurance as bonus/alternative feat too.

6. Re: racial weapon proficiency feat - probably easier to just take a level or fighter of Martial Weapon Proficiency, you get the racial exotic weapons either way I believe.

7. Already had Knowledge (dungeoneering) as racial skill for dwarves; Use Rope was meant to be another "dwarves have great skill in their hands" skill but I agree it doesn't fit so well.Open to suggestions though!

8. Yeah in Tolkien elves are older; they're the perfect Mary Sue race for him (immortal, pure, adept at magic, etc) but that would give them too much power to be a PC race so I watered them down to the archetypal "fey" - charismatic but not necessarily wise. May post homebrew Fey race later on (with racial feats to become dwarves, ogres, pixies, etc. - all the potential creatures of fairy tales combined in one race)

9. Altered Glibly Gullible to +/- 6, per your suggestion (fits nicely with the +6 bonus to Wild Empathy of nymphs, dryads, etc).

10. Magical Aptitude is a weak feat yeah, but all the racial feats were meant to be like that (Magical Artisan for dwarves is useless unless you decide to go all-out on the dwarven blacksmith archetype).

11. Hmm! I gave orcs 2 bonus feats but assumed they were already powerful (for melee classes at least). Any suggestions? Perhaps rage as a SLA? (that improves to transformation at high levels?)

12. Yeah Extra Adaptation was meant to reflect versatility of humans; they learn quickly (compared to the other races at least) even once fully grown.

13. Edited Fey Armour as you say.

14 (so many edits!). Yeah, but hopefully Greater Adaptation comes late enough (12th level) that it's ok?

15. Depends...Powerful Build is arguably worth LA+1 by itself so might be too powerful as a bonus feat.

16. Unearthly Grace- I've always liked the flavour quote. Fey creatures (even Red Caps, Banshees, Satyrs, etc) should be supernaturally graceful/charismatic, IMHO, as part of their flavour.

Thanks again for the insight!
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-09-03 at 11:56 AM.