View Single Post

Thread: Revising Evocation, Take 2

1. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Revising Evocation, Take 2

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    On the one hand, I appreciate the balance considerations you two have raised. On the other, I really do feel this isn't much of a problem. There are too many prerequisites that have to be met:

1) You have to have caster level 20th (10 Dex damage).

2) You have to be fighting a True Dragon (and ONLY a True Dragon, there aren't any other monsters of that CR with Dex 10).

3) You have to make a ranged attack.

4) You have to beat the dragon's SR.

5) The Dragon has to fail its Fortitude save for damage.

6) The Dragon has to fail it's Fortitude save against the additional effect.

Bonus) The Dragon has to have no spells/feats/etc to protect it.

Even casting everything else aside, you're basically looking at a dragon (i.e. they of the Good Fortitude progression and high Constitution scores) that has to roll a natural 1 on two Fortitude saves in a row - a 1 in 400 chance. For every wizard that succeeds on one-shotting a dragon with his opening cantrip, there are 399 dead ones. I can't say I like those odds enough to use minor energy ray in place of energy storm! :D
    It all depends who's expected to be a subscriber form this project.
    If it's just for you and your game mates, then no problem. If it's for the general public, then I'm assuming that an overwhelming majority will reject a cantrip that is more effective by magnitudes than all other cantrips I've ever encoutered - cast simultaneously.
    Last edited by nonsi; 2017-09-19 at 08:39 AM.