View Single Post

Thread: Spellcaster-Killing Ecology

1. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spellcaster-Killing Ecology

Quote Originally Posted by Sardia View Post
    Given that magic is as effective as it is against monsters, (moreso than having a man with a sword or dagger chop at them) how long would it take for the "monstrous ecology" to evolve into something ideally suited to either avoid, neutralize or kill spellcasters and what would a world like that look like?
    Honestly? I think it'd take long as it takes for somebody to start getting annoyed at Wizards constantly nuking their critters and do something about it.

As to what such a world would look like, I imagine the terrain would have very sharp, incredibly blatant demarcations between areas that have different "caretakers". As in "transition between zones in WoW" blatant. Likewise, each area would have whatever creatures suited the tastes of their protectors. For example:

-One area could be a dense forest filled with cute, fuzzy creatures that is defended by Druids, Fey, and the aforementioned fuzzy creatures that are much more vicious than they look.
    -At one point, the trees would just stop right at the edge of a territory that a particularly powerful Dragon has staked out as his personal lunch box. Every last creature in the entire area is either "tasty", or too small for the Dragon to bother with. Any other creatures would be destroyed to make room (and reduce competition) for the aforementioned "tasty" animals.
    -Just far enough from the Dragon's lair to not be worth his time, the terrain would change to the towns and farms of a Human kingdom, guarded by its army of mooks and even more powerful (if unofficial) army of Adventurers. All the animals would be what you would typically expect in a farm or town.
    -Wedged between the Humans and Druids might be a Wizard's tower. Nobody there was strong enough to stop him from nuking what he wanted, so he set up shop and now keeps other Wizards from coming in and nuking what he sees as his living targets.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2007-03-23 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!