Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
I did a game with Con score + HD.

Thus a level 10 Barbarian with Con 20 would die at (HD + Con score) = (10 + 20) = -30 hp.

That seemed to give a reasonable buffer even in a caster-heavy mid-OP mid-level game.

Still had a few character deaths, but the "dying" range was meaningful.

If I did it over, I'd probably expand the "dying" range further. Maybe (Con score + 2 * HD), so you'd get a much deeper buffer as damage scaled.
Hmm, that would make die hard better then it is in core... Also increases the tense "hurry up, this dude is gonna kill me" -ness

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
Unless you're playing in a setting that has removed all resurrection magic, is that really an issue?

I realize that if you play by the RAW, campaigns frequently come to a point where death almost doesn't matter, but I see that as a problem, not a feature. I think it maintains an important element of tension if players have be a little cautious or risk permanent character loss.
You know, I had a DM tie the loss of experience to a loss of memories, thus that petty xp loss for wish? You just forgot [insert important memory here]. Not necessarily that big of a penlaty, but it did make RP rather interesting... Well, you brought X back to life... and now have no idea who they are

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
Nope.

At moderate optimization + mid-levels, it's the difference between strong crits killing you from full PERIOD, vs. strong crits putting you in a dangerous & high-tension situation where you're helpless and your allies need to respond.

I like rolling out in the open -- it gives the players a better conception of the risks their characters are taking, plus I don't have to worry about pulling punches / illusionism / etc. -- but what that also means is that I need the system to behave well even when it's forced to be transparent & accountable.

The standard 3.x negative HP buffer is worthless above 3rd level. Damage scales too fast, and critical hits add too much variance.

If you want the "Dying" condition to be meaningful at all, if you want to see tension at the table instead of just flat-out killing PCs and thus killing that player's investment in the battle, then you need a bigger buffer.

PCs will still die. D&D is dangerous, and not all deaths are due to HP damage -- and even with a negative buffer TWICE as big as their maximum HP, the PCs are helpless while at negatives, and being helpless means dying a lot faster if the enemy has a spare action and wants you dead.

"The Blackguard walks over to the unconscious Paladin and stabs his helpless body for (dice) 23 damage. Is Sir Smitesalot still alive? Great. Next round the Blackguard is going to Coup de Grace. Wizard, your turn."

That's exciting. That's tense. That's fun. You won't get that without a deep negative zone.
Hmm, I think I'll add it to the versions, if you don't mind?