View Single Post

Thread: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

1. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hedge Mage
    I really, really, like this PrC. Everything about it is well done, and it looks balanced even given the massive set of spells they can cast.
    Thanks
    Entry requirements- The special requirement is a little ambiguous. If for example a sorcerer can only cast first and zeroth level spells and they then fail a will save against a second level spell, but then gain the ability to cast 2nd level spells and then fail a reflex save and a fort save against a 4th level spell, do they qualify?
    Changed it up:
    Special: Must have failed a will save, reflex save, and fortitude save against 3 different spells that would have a negative effect.
    Is that better?
    Expanded Spell Knowledge- The ability is really cool. I could see this leading to problems with splatbook diving. It might make sense to have a note to DMs that if a PC is going to play a Hedge Mage then they should discuss with the DM before hand to make sure that they don't drastically slow down combat by spending forever thinking about what spell they are going to cast.
    Ah yes, I'll add a note, was thinking of PbP when I wrote it honestly
    Also, the note on Expanded Spell Knowledge seems to have a minor formatting error with an extra italic close at the end.

Gutter Instincts is all good but "tus" should be "thus" I think.
    Thanks, fixed.
    Openminded refers to the class as "witch" (I'm guessing this was from an earlier draft). Also "ofr" should be "of" I think. I'm not sure what you mean by "and if such an effect would still affect her (Such as Dark Speech) it instead has no effect"- can you clarify?
    Witch was a base class I was trying to figure out, which died, burnt in an oven and came out as a muffin... Not sure how there but it did, seriously.
    Darkspeech affects both evil and non-evil, however it would be best in that case to be evil as the effects are worse then when you are good, however it still has a negative effect (I don't have the BoVD with me atm). This way when it would be beneficial you can obtain alignment benefits, but when it isn't you still don't have to worry... Did that clear it up at all?
    Spell Transfusion- "Tey" should be "they" I think. This seems a bit powerful but for fourth level and lower spells seems ok. My guess is that this is not intended to remove spell components (V,S,M, etc.) but if so that should be stated explicitly since supernatural abilities don't have them. If it is intended to remove them, then this may be unbalanced.
    Components were purposely left out, as I felt it was balanced by the fact that most (I think all, 'cept for undead creating ones) spells with a costly material component 0-4 are low, and by the time that you get the more costly ones you barely even scratch your WBL. I also thought losing 5-9's was a big penalty that'd balance it as well. If you still feel it is too OP I'll say you have to pay any material etc costs, but otherwise keep it as is.
    Fixed They.
    Spell Chain- Says witch when you mean Hedge Mage.
    Fixed.
    Epic Hedgmage- This looks not complete yet, although most of it seems self-explanatory from the table.
    Eh, I was going to let it just sit, but I'll add the text... Now.

Atomos Mage
    Spoiler
    Show

Arcane Atoms: My first thought was that you did not get nearly enough, but then you do multiply by your casting stat, which (I assume you count magic items?) can get pretty high so it should be good
    Does using arcane atoms bypass a level cap for damaging spells (So, if I am an 8th level atomosmage can I soup up my searing fireball?) I won't think it would be too bad as blasting (Even though that is a favorite thing to do) is usually seen as suboptimal.

Arcane Sensitivity: Love this, although my OCD makes me point out, your (Ex) should go before the colon; (Ex):
    KNowing if an object is magical: So, if I pick up something with GMW on it does it register as a magic object? Also, I would let this apply to effects made from magic, such as a fire wall/of ice (if you don't have DeMa up you technically don't know it is magical :eyeroll:)
    MR: well, this is alright but a wizard has a good will save... as do most full-casters (Try to think of one who doesn't, you might beat me ). Immediate action... do you need to use this before you see the outcome of your will save or after, for example:
    DM: 'ey youse, make a will save
    Player: Alright, [rolls]
    DM: Awh, so close, but you needed a 12 not 11.
    Player: Actually...

BF: Meh, not gonna kill you, although 1 of them isn't very nice... maybe 2 XD

Bodily Integrity: have some small typing error; "full spell into your body. . You "

I was thinking, for BI and MR Maybe combine them and give them Mettle (per hexblade) activated by spending points? (Then you could work in another feature as well if you combined them like that )

EC: Nice... although with buffing saves, and everything else I would reduce the cost to 3 points

DtD: Maybe gain some when you cast a spell unaugmented by arcane atoms as well as how it is now?

PP: The problem here is that caster level is (apparently) extremely easy to bump over 60... so maybe level in classes that advance arcane spellcasting (which would still allow UM to qualify twice... hmm.)

Ability Idea: The ability to "steal" atoms from the energy of other mages casting spells. For example if Mr Archmage drops a couple Orb of X you get a few atomos points... I would base the gain rate off... maybe the square root of SL+CL?

the feats:
    Atomos Focus: This is better then the feat that gives +4 points, and if playing a game with retraining (and not starting at higher level anyways) then I would start with the +4 (if I needed it) and later retrain for this... I would in fact add:
    Special: Upon reaching 8th level this feat may be changed out for Atomos Focus.
    to the other for those games that don't use retraining.

Atomos Hoarder: Seems fair enough

AM: Don't have enough experience with psionics

AT: seems alright, not really much going on here, just for the dual casters. Would work nicely in gestalt though.

AC: you give HP 1:1 and I would also say: for every 4 hit points that you grant the creature it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to strength, con, or dexterit at your choice. The effects of this feat stack with themselves.

AN: maybe something like the feats from libris mortis allowing you to add some bonuses to their physical stats? Also, this should be able to improve turn resistance.

OA: Don't do binding (have the book, haven't had the time to read it) but seems you have a text error; "First, you may when you make a" I would take out the you may, or switch it "First, when you make a binding check you may..."

RA: I would make this points equal to the spell level you dispel, also forgot some other dispel stuff, I would just say spells that dispel as just in core there is also MD... which most don't use, but it is there... non-core there is dispelling screen off the top of my head.

Very interesting, and the rest of the feats seem to be good.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-10 at 10:43 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.