1. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Selling your Soul at a Premium: The Warlock's Guide to Power

I registered for a few reasons, but the strongest motivator was to pop in and say thanks and congratulate you EvilA on what might be one of the best designed and thought out build guides I recall seeing. I'll just note my credentials briefly. I was "online" before Al Gore invented this thing and hail from red box days in DND.

You and I have some differences in build, likely because I tend more toward a destructive/disruptive controller than a defensive/disruptive one.

Having said that, I believe an example prudent. You, and many others dislike True Strike and I understand why. Further, many don't like Witch Bolt. However, I like both, particularly with Warlock, for a very specific reason.

You take one round to lock the target and avoid getting hit, if you can. Then, with advantage you drop Witch Bolt on the major bad guy. My current Warlock has a 20 Cha.. (yeah, yeah, I actually rolled 18) I'm rolling a +7 with advantage. At L5 I, if I hit I get nifty 3d12... Oh yeah, it's locked in. So what now Johnny Bravo? Why, how about Eldritch blast at +7 to hit and +5 damage (EBlast) plus d12, you know, because I have Witch Bolt Rolling. Yes, I could be rolling Hex instead to get a d6 damage, however, I will get get the big first hit. Additionally, with Hex there is no guarantee of damage as you can miss your attack role, like there is which Witch Bolt (if I don't lose concentration). Could I use Hex and Witch Bolt, sure, but that is 2 slots burned. Slots are at a premium with Warlock and my way provides a low level one two punch that is hard to beat while only using one slot.

You did note there were some builds that could make use of Witch Bolt. However, you seem to really dislike True Strike and I simply wanted to point out why it has a lot of value to me.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Burnteyes; 2017-11-11 at 02:11 AM.