I agree that the weirdness of Yang's 'bird powers are sinister' reaction derives in large part from Raven's incoherent and unconvincing speechifying, but there's no reason for Raven to have been either of those things in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
Spoiler: V5E8
Show
Was any of those horrified stares just acting on Blake's part? You know, now that we know that Blake was prepared for Illia's betrayal the entire time.

Also, I say that the portal is not coming. Raven will more likely cut a deal with Cinder, despite Cinder's hostile attitude. If they fight, Vernal is in Raven's court and won't go quietly, after a fight Raven is more likely to go it on her own than rejoin Taiyang and certainly won't rejoin Qrow and team Oz so soon after she declared her opposition to Ozpin.
Spoiler: v5e8
Show
Blake may have taken precautions against betrayal, but I don't think she expected it, or the extent of it.

I agree that given the advice Salem specifically gave Cinder, negotiation is likely to happen. Still, I don't see how the negotiation concludes without Raven handing over Vernal (and Vernal objecting violently) or Raven not handing over Vernal (and Cinder objecting violently), so a fight seems inevitable. The portal would be in the event of Raven refusing followed by a Cinder victory; if Raven goes through, Taiyang is the most likely destination, but if Vernal goes through, I think Qrow is the most likely destination. (The wishful thinking on my part is that RNJR get to go back through the portal and actually do something this season, but it's highly unlikely.)