View Single Post

Thread: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

1. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    It seems much simpler than that, to me.
    You haven't answered my question, though.

Hylgia assumed Durkon was a free spirit (like Durkon assumed Hylgia was lawful and both were wrong) so, either if he replied that he had a wife or a girlfriend, she could go along with the thought: "He is in love with someone else. Else, like me, he would have dumped her already. So bad, he was cute!"

Because, you know, people, even dwarfs, seem to stay in a relationiship because they love each other.
    Then why not mention the cruel husband, to gain some extra "look how much of a rebel free spirit I am" points? In this scenario, Hilgya loses nothing and gains everything for mentioning it. Keeping it quiet indicates she knows it might be an issue, just like asking at all indicates she knows it is an issue.

But she didn't mention it. The topic was in her mind, and even as a "free spirit" she checked, but didn't reveal her own situation. There is no excuse for that.

On the other hand, again, Durkon didn't even think to ask back a simple: "And you, what about your husband/bf? Or maybe are you into girls?" if not after he banged her.
    Because he wrongly assumed that she was lawful and took for granted she had not a "contract" running.
    No, because he got kicked out of dwarven society at 15*, he's 18* and had never been in a relationship. It is a lot easier to explain Durkon's actions as a mistake due to his lack of experience than Hilgya's. Should he have asked? Yes. But he didn't. But as the novice, I won't hold him to the same standard as Hilgya.

ETA: Also, Durkon, once he realised that his conduct was dishonorable, took steps to stop. So he admitted his mistake, and worked towards fixing it. Hilgya did not.

But at that point I'd like to know why, if she was such a manipulative, conscious liar, she said all the truth immediately after a single, generic question.
    Because they had just "sealed the deal".

GW

*in human-equivalent maturity years
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-12 at 11:44 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est