1. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Feedback: magic weapon ability AND spells

Between the Demonhunter thread and this I almost thought someone was about to try a Warcraft setting. Which already exitsts btw, but that's not the point.

Right off the bat, DC 25+enhancement bonus is excessive, considering that the base DC of a lv 9 spell is 23.

I won't give a specific idea, but rather a host of possibilities that are all much simpler.

Spells lost:
    You could simply burn their highest available slot, it's been done before.
    You could burn x dice of spell levels, say 1d4, 1d4+2, and 1d6+2, payed in a combination of spells/slots of the target's choice.

Damage: x or x dice/spell level burned is the easiest and best way to do this. I'd suggest 1d4/level is the most you can do without it just being a death sentence (assuming you burn their highest slot).

Save: well, you may or may not have a save, but there's a few ways to determine it if you do:
    Flat DC
    DC= 10+ damage (or a fraction thereof) dealt by the hit
    DC= 10 (or more)+the amount by which the hit succeded
    DC= 10 (or more)+the enhancement bonus of the weapon
    DC= 10 (or more)+a relevent ability bonus of the wielder
    DC= a combination of the above three

Now, for any of these, I would suggest it only be usable once per round, say requiring a standard action to activate and allowing only one attack. It's a very variable ability, either too weak or an instant kill against any spellcaster, so choose carefully.

Edit: also, for your balance consideration:
    Mindcrusher

Any psionic creature struck in combat by a mindcrusher weapon loses a number of power points equal to half the amount of hit point damage the weapon deals (only the base damage of the weapon contributes to the power point loss; additional damage from high Strength or other sources does not cause additional power point loss). A psionic creature that is out of power points (or has none) must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or take 1d2 points of Wisdom damage.
    Strong psychometabolism; ML 12th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, psychic vampire; Price +2 bonus.
    Now, the fact that it specifically drains power points makes it a little harder to adjudicate under magic/psionics transparency, but it drains very few spell levels.
    1st level spell=1 point
    2nd=3
    3rd=5
    4th=7
    So, you're not likely to drain anything higher than 3rd level for less than a +2 bonus, and that's without extra damage.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2007-03-27 at 03:29 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness