View Single Post

Thread: Why 'Sandbox' is a meaningless phrase

1. - Top - End - #694
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Why 'Sandbox' is a meaningless phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    It's always been the same to me.
    So your definition is inherently self-contradictory?
    I'd say I was surprised but... I'm not.

I never said there was anything wrong with it?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not the guy to try that lie on. Your distaste for exploration has been hidden about as well as an elephant under a tea cozy.

And, I have said, some games are all about that and nothing else. Some players and DMs like this sort of game, and it's popular with the Casual Gamers.
    See? Here it is.
    "I never said it was bad. It's just for Casual Gamers, a group I have a long history of vilifying and insisting are inherently lazy and inferior in every way. Totally different."

Yes. And sardines are ok, too. They're just universally a sign of being a horrible, puppy-kicking charlatan, and anyone who likes them is inferior to me.

If that second paragraph sounds like i suck at hiding my distaste for sardines, then it is an accurate simulation of DU posts.

Not so weird if you read what I type.
    Given that you've not been successful at comprehendingly reading hardly anything written in this thread, this makes me giggle.

Um, I'm not talking about things like both games have the exact group of orc bandits attack at 10AM or things like that. I'm talking about the DM makes/gets and adventure and the players have thier characters go through it.
    An Adventure as a unit of play will produce roughly the same outcome regardless of who plays through it.
    We're not talking about the adventure scale. We're talking about the Campaign scale.
    I'm guessing that even you don't fully comprehend your own argument here.
    Again, not surprising.

Normal Game- Right at the start, the players pick an adventure and say ''our characters will go and slay he dragon of Dark Wood'' and the players come up with a clever idea to have a fake gold caravan trap for the dragon.., the Dm pulls out the Dragon of Dark Wood Adventure....and the gameplay starts.
    That's a Linear end of the spectrum.

So called Sandbox Game-the players take huge amounts of time to just wander and explore,
    See how you call it "just wander and explore" implying with all the subtlety of a hand grenade that this is insufficient?

eventually the players pick an adventure and say ''our characters will go stop the Red Flag Pirates" and come up with a clever idea to join the pirates and take themout from within...., the DM pulls out the Red Flag Pirates Adventure...and the gameplay starts.
    The different is there is no such adventure written out. What does exist is a layout of rhe organization, its procedures, its goals, its hangouts, major named characters' motivations, etc. Setting information.
    From that setting information, reactions are pulled live.
    If Thog the Pirate Orc lusts for mahogany tables, and the DM knows this, then Gold will be a bad bribe.
    It doesn't need to be written down as an if/then statement anywhere. It's a reasonable piece of information to extrapolate from the notes.

Since the entire campaign functions like this, there aren't any "adventures" as a unit of game content.

Well, with the DM gone, there is no setting or world or even a game. It's just the Storytelling Activity where each player just says ''and then'' on their turn or all at once.
    If this is how you imagine Sandbox games go, despite what has been described...
    You've got worse reading comprehension issues than I imagined. I apparently may as well write in Russian. About the same amount will be comprehended.
    Last edited by ImNotTrevor; 2018-03-17 at 05:39 PM.