This is the rough draft I have so far. I'd like to refine it a bit more and come up with at least another 3 or 4 draconic auras. I'm also working on the new dragonpacts as well, so that each dragon type will have 5 different dragonpacts to choose from. As it is, only reds have 3, while blue, brass, and bronze have 2 each, and black, copper, gold, green, and silver each only offer 1.
I also need to add language as to how it interacts with PrCs. I'm seeing it as any PrC that advances arcane spellcasting would advances breath weapon damage, effective caster level, auras known, and possibly aura strength (if I feel generous).
1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Draconic aura +1, draconic power, dragon patron - 3 2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Breath weapon, draconic adaptation 1d6 3 3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Draconic lineage 1d6 4 4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Draconic resolve, energy resistance 2d6 4 5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Draconic aura +2 2d6 5 6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +5 Dragonpact 3d6 5 7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +5 Draconic aura (second aura), draconic adaptation 3d6 6 8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +6 Energy immunity 4d6 6 9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +6 Commune with dragon patron 4d6 7 10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +7 Draconic aura +3 5d6 7 11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +7 Second dragonpact 5d6 8 12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +8 Draconic aura (third aura), draconic adaptation 6d6 8 13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +8 6d6 9 14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +9 7d6 9 15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +9 Draconic aura +4 7d6 10 16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +10 Thrid dragonpact 8d6 10 17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Draconic aura (fourth aura), draconic adaptation 8d6 11 18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 9d6 11 19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 9d6 12 20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Draconic aura +5 10d6 12
Hit Die: 10
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level):
All of the following are the class features of the Dragon Shaman.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dragon shamans are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields, but not tower shields.
Dragon Patron: Each dragon shaman serves a powerful, ancient dragon who becomes their patron. By performing a mystical ceremony, a dragon shaman forms an arcane bond with a willing dragon, even if the two have never met or are separated by vast distances. It is through this link that a dragon shaman gains their powers. The dragon patron may choose to contact the dragon shaman telepathically at any time, regardless of distance and across planar boundaries, though the patron only rarely does so. How active a role the dragon plays in the dragon shaman's life depends on the personality and interests of the dragon patron.
A dragon shaman must choose a type of true dragon as his patron: black, blue, brass, bronze, copper, gold, green, red, silver, or white. His alignment must be within one step of the patron dragon, or it will refuse the bond.
The dragon shaman gains additional class skills based on the type of dragon chosen. He also gains the related Draconic Heritage feat as a bonus feat.
Draconic Power: A dragon shaman can select draconic feats as if he were a sorcerer of his class level. His caster level for all of his class features is equal to his class level. The save DC for any of the dragon shaman's supernatural or spell-like abilities is equal to 10 + 1/2 his class level + his Cha modifier, unless otherwise stated.
Unlike a sorcerer, a dragon shaman does not gain spell slots. For the purposes of draconic feats that interact with spellcasting, a dragon shaman uses his breath weapon. The effective spell level of his breath weapon for the purposes of activating draconic feats is equal to its base damage. So, the breath weapon of a 6th level dragon shaman counts as a 3rd-level spell.
Feats that activate when a spell is cast, such as Draconic Flight, are activated when he attacks with his breath weapon. If he is required to sacrifice a spell slot to activate a feat, such as Draconic Arcane Grace, he may sacrifice a use of his breath weapon, requiring him to wait 1d4 rounds before using it again as normal.
Draconic Aura (Su): By channeling the arcane might of his patron dragon, the dragon shaman can form an aura of power. A dragon shaman knows three draconic auras of his choice at 1st level, gaining more auras known at every odd level. He can choose to manifest any aura he knows. His aura's benefits affect each ally within 30 feet, including himself. Any aura penalties instead affect each enemy within range. He may define any creature within his aura as ally, enemy, or neither as he chooses.
The dragon shaman's aura bonus begins at +1 and increases by 1 for every class five levels he has.
A dragon shaman may have two auras active at the same time at level 7, three active at level 12, and four at level 17.
Projecting an aura is a swift action. The aura remains in effect until the dragon shaman dismisses it as a free action or he becomes unconscious or is slain.
Breath Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, a dragon shaman gains a breath weapon of a type based on his dragon patron. Each time he uses his breath weapon, he can choose to breath in either a 15-foot cone or a 30-foot line. His breath weapon deals 1d6 damage for every two class levels. A successful Reflex saves (DC 12 + 1/2 class level + Con modifier) halves this damage.
A dragon shaman is immune to his own breath weapon but not to other breath weapons or similar effects, even those of other dragon shamans. Once a dragon shaman breathes, he cant use his breath weapon again until 1d4 rounds later.
At 10th level, the range of a dragon shaman's breath weapon increases to a 30-foot cone or a 60-foot line. The range increases again at level 16 to a 60-foot cone or 120-foot line.
Draconic Adaptation (Ex): Channeling the arcane might of their patron dragon changes a dragon shaman physically, granting him some of the benefits of dragonkind. At 2nd level, a dragon shaman gains low-light vision, darkvision out to 30 feet, and his natural armor increases by +1.
At level 7, darkvision increases to 60 feet, and the bonus to natural armor increases to +2.
At level 12, low-light vision distance doubles, darkvision functions out to 90 feet, and natural armor increases to +3.
Finally, at level 17, low-light vision is four times that of a normal human, darkvision extends to 120 feet, and natural armor increases to +4.
Additionally, each time a dragon shaman gains dragonic adaptation, he gains a draconic bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites of the feat he chooses.
Draconic Lineage: Dragon shamans of 3rd level gain the Dragon Lineage feat appropriate to their patron dragon as a bonus feat. For example, a dragon shaman with a blue dragon as their patron dragon would gain Blue Dragon Lineage.
Draconic Resolve (Ex): At 4th level, a dragon shaman becomes immune to the frightful presence of dragons. He also becomes immune to paralysis and sleep effects.
Energy Resistance (Ex): A dragon shaman of 4th level gains resistance 10 to the energy type associated with his patron dragon. At 9th level, he gains immunity to that energy type.
Dragonpact (Su): A dragonpact is a mystical bargain made between a sorcerer and a powerful dragon, which costs the sorcerer gold, spell slots, and tedious negotiation. A dragon shaman, however, has a powerful dragon patron who grants him the benefits of such pacts without need for such meaningless haggling. At 6th level, a dragon shaman may select any dragonpact offered his dragon patron, gaining the spell-like abilities that the pact offers with no further cost to himself. The effective spell slot for his dragonpact is the effective spell level of his breath weapon.
A dragon shaman may change his chosen dragonpact with an hour of meditation, but he may do so only once per day and must not have used any of the spell-like abilities of his current dragonpact that day. Once the meditation is completed, the dragon shaman immediately loses one dragonpact and gains the new one.
At levels 11 and 16, a dragon shaman may form additional dragonpacts at the same time, allowing him to have access to more spell-like abilities each day.
Commune With Dragon Patron (Su): While a dragon patron may choose to contact its dragon shamans at any time, they rarely do so. Beginning at 9th level, a dragon shaman gains the ability to telepathically contact his dragon patron to ask questions directly. This functions as the commune spell, but the dragon shaman is limited to asking only one question per three class levels. This ability may be used once per week.
- Breath Guard: Allies within your aura are immune to damage from your breath weapon. Additionally, they gain resistance 5 ื your aura bonus to your breath weapon's energy type.
- Dragontongue: This aura grants a bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. Allies within your aura also temporarily gain the ability to speak draconic.
- Arcane Insight: This aura grants a bonus on Decipher Script, Knowledge, and Spellcraft checks. While active, you have the ability use read magic as a spell-like ability at will.
- Keen Senses: Your aura grants a bonus to Initiative and twice your aura bonus to Listen and Spot checks. Allies within range temporarily gain low-light vision.
- Hoard Sense: This aura also grants a bonus on Appraise checks. While active, you, but not your allies, may use a spell-like ability similar to detect magic, except that it detects coins and gems within range of your aura.
- Frightful Presence: You gain a frightful presence like a true dragon while this aura remains active. The DC to resist this effect is 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Cha modifier + your aura bonus. Your allies are immune to this effect. Creatures who succeed on their Will save remain immune to your frightful presence for 24 hours.
- Dragonhide: This aura grants damage reduction 2/magic for each point of your aura bonus. It also grants you, but not your allies, spell resistance equal to your Cha bonus plus twice your aura bonus.
- Draconic Prowess: This aura grants a bonus on weapon damage rolls and the save DC of any effect that has the same energy type as your breath weapon.
- Arcane Vigor: Your aura grants fast healing equal to your aura bonus, but it can only restore creatures to a maximum of one-half their normal hit points.
- Resolve: The aura of resolve grants a bonus on Concentration checks, Constitution checks, and saves against fear, paralysis, and sleep.
- Dragonfire: Your breath weapon deals 1d6 extra damage for each point of your aura bonus (this does not increase your breath weapon's effective spell level). Your allies deal extra weapon damage equal to your aura bonus. This extra damage is energy damage of the same type as your breath weapon.
- Potent Breath: The recovery time for breath weapons within your aura is reduced by a number of rounds equal to your aura bonus, to a minimum of 1.
- Swiftwing: Your aura grants a bonus on Climb, Jump, and Swim checks and increases climb, fly, and swim speed by 5 ื your aura bonus. It does not grant these move speeds if you do not already have them.