Build number 5-WHAT THE HELL EVEN IS THIS
Originally Posted by Thack o'GrugnordThack o’Grugnord
CE Human Rogue/Archivist/EotX/Shaper of Form/Mindbender
Region of Origin: Halruaa
WIS 16 (level-up points here)
CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Nonweapon Proficiencies Feats Class Features 1 Antiquarian Rogue 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Diplomacy 4, Hide 4, MS 4, K: Local Waterdeep 3, Spot 4, K: Arcana 4, C: Alchemy 4, C: Bookbinding 4, Decipher Script 4, Sense Motive 4, Appraise 3 Magical Training (Wizard), Apprentice: Spellcaster (K: Arcana and UMD as permanent class skills, +2 skill points) Antiquarian, SA +1d6 2 Archivist 1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Hide +1 cc (5), Spot +1 cc (5), MS +1 cc (5), C: Alchemy +1 (5), C: Bookbinding +1 (5) Scribe Scroll Dark Knowledge (tactics) 3/day 3 Archivist 2 +1 +3 +2 +3 Hide +1 cc (6), Spot +1 cc (6), MS +1 cc (6), C: Bookbinding +1 (6), K: Arcana +1 (5) Great Fortitude Lore Mastery (Religion) 4 Archivist 3 +1 +3 +3 +3 Spot +1 cc (7), C: Bookbinding +1 (7), Decipher Script +3 (7), Appraise +1 cc (4) Dark Knowledge 4/day 5 Archivist 4 +2 +4 +3 +4 Spot +1 cc (8), C: Bookbinding +1 (8), Decipher Script +1 (8), Appraise +1 cc (5), Spellcraft 2 [Mentor] Still Mind 6 Archivist 5 +2 +4 +3 +4 Decipher Script +1 (9), K: Religion +3 (5), Appraise +1 cc (6), Spellcraft +2 (4) Iron Will Dark Knowledge (puissance) 7 Eye of the Xanathar 1 +2 +4 +5 +4 Decipher Script +1 cc (10), Forgery 10 Eye of the Master (Spot, low-light); portal use 8 EotX 2 +3 +4 +6 +4 Decipher Script +1 cc (11), Forgery +1 (11), K: Arcana +1 (6), K: Religion 4 cc Eye of the Master (Detect Magic) 9 EotX 3 +4 +5 +6 +5 Decipher Script +1 cc (12), Forgery +1 (12), K: Arcana +1 (7), Spellcraft +2 cc (6), K: Religion +2 cc (6) Spell Focus: Transmutation Release the Eye, SA +2d6 10 EotX 4 +5 +5 +7 +5 Decipher Script +1 cc (13), Forgery +1 (13), K: Arcana +1 (8), Spellcraft +2 cc (8), Appraise +1 cc (7), K: Religion +1 cc (7) Attach the Eye (Charm Person) 11 EotX 5 +5 +5 +7 +5 Decipher Script +1 cc (14), Forgery +1 (14), K: Arcana +1 (9), Spellcraft +2 cc (10), Appraise +1 cc (8), K: Religion +1 cc (8) Eye of the Master (Know Alignment, darkvision), Perfect Sneak Attack 12 Shaper of Form 1 +5 +7 +7 +7 Appraise +6 (14) Practiced Spellcaster (Magical Training/Wizard) Like Begets Like, Modify Self (Renaissance: Mulan human) 13 Mindbender 1 +5 +9 +7 +9 Diplomacy +6 (10) Telepathy 14 Mindbender 2 +6 +10 +7 +10 Diplomacy +6 (16) Push the Weak Mind 1/day, Skill Boost 15 Mindbender 3 +6 +10 +8 +10 Diplomacy +2 (18), K: Religion +4 (12) Southern Magician Mindread 2/day 16 Mindbender 4 +7 +11 +8 +11 Diplomacy +1 (19), K: Religion +1 (13), Spellcraft +4 (14) Eternal Charm (1) 17 EotX 6 +8 +12 +9 +12 Forgery +6 (20), Diplomacy +1 (20), K: Arcana +1 (10), Decipher Script +1 cc (15) Attach the Eye (Inflict Moderate), SA +3d6 18 EotX 7 +9 +12 +9 +12 Forgery +1 (21), Diplomacy +1 (21), Spellcraft +2 cc (16), Decipher Script +2 cc (17) Craft Wondrous Item Send the Eye, Eye of the Master (See Invis) 19 EotX 8 +10 +12 +10 +12 Forgery +1 (22), Diplomacy +1 (22), Spellcraft +2 cc (18), Decipher Script +2 cc (19) Attach the Eye (Poison) 20 EotX 9 +10 +13 +10 +13 Forgery +1 (23), Diplomacy +1 (23), Spellcraft +2 cc (20), Decipher Script +2 cc (21) SA +4d6
Archivist Spells per Day
Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 1st - - - - - - - - - - 2nd 3 2 - - - - - - - - 3rd 4 3 - - - - - - - - 4th 4 3 2 - - - - - - - 5th 4 4 3 - - - - - - - 6th-11th 4 4 3 2 - - - - - - 12th+ 4 4 4 3 - - - - - -
- Start as an Antiquarian Rogue. Learn that there’s relics of the past that teach us about the Old Ways of doing things. Magical Training and Apprentice: Spellcaster grant some basic magical tricks and indicate that we’re learning from an old master of some kind. Gain a spellbook from Magical Training.
- Become reclusive and bitter about the way things are these days. Become incredibly convinced that everything was better in the Before Times. Decide to do what is necessary to bring back system shock rolls, magically induced aging, saving throws against breath weapon, and so on.
- Learn about The Xanathar’s guild and decide to become a member. Work to earn a position therein.
- Enter Archivist. Learn magic. Focus on Transmutation spells to the extent possible. Be sure to know at least 6 of them, which shouldn’t be hard between having three Wizard cantrips (Mage Hand, Amanuensis, Mending) and a bunch of Cleric spells. Get Druid spells too if possible, because why not.
- Do whatever is necessary to attract the attention of Spirits of Form. Your old mentor might be able to help. This may take some time.
- Pick up prereqs like crazy. Act like an Archivist with goofy skill points. Get enough buff spells to be useful.
- Become a mentor yourself, gaining a young Archivist who doesn’t know any better as an apprentice. Do what’s necessary to keep them around or to gain a new one as needed. Make sure they trust you enough to copy spells out of your prayerbook on the regular.
- Enter Eye of the Xanathar once the feat space opens up. Take advantage of the weird skills and Sneak Attack and stuff until you hit 5th level.
- Gain Know Alignment as a spell-like ability.
- Know Alignment is a 2e spell, not a 3.X spell. Open up the 2e PHB and look through the spells.
- Use Scribe Scroll to get a scroll of Know Alignment, providing all the prereqs yourself.
- Copy Know Alignment into your prayerbook.
- Copy enough other spells into your prayerbook to increase the base value to the necessary level.
- Make lots of nonmagical copies of your prayerbook.
- Enter Shaper of Form. Use Modify Self to change from a human to a “Mulan human,” whatever the Baator that’s supposed to mean.
- Use Shaper of Form’s Like Begets Like on your prayerbook to turn it from a prayerbook containing a 2e spell into a prayerbook containing other 2e spells. The weirder the better. Sticks to Snakes. Duo-Dimension. Tree. Chant. Chariot of Sustarre. Rainbow. Pass Plant. Starshine. Don’t hold back on this—load it up. Repeat each day on a different copy of your prayerbook.
- Give these weird 2e spells to your apprentice. Teach him/her/them to cast them. Instruct them to share this crazy knowledge with their friends and peers. Spread these bizarre spells throughout the world. You may want to find other apprentices just to get these weird prayerbooks in as many hands as possible.
- Enter Mindbender by means of the Charm Person function of Attach the Eye.
- Use Mindbender’s abilities to ensnare other unsuspecting young spellcasters and give them the same instructions to learn your goofy 2e spells and to spread their knowledge around.
- You have a spellbook from Magical Training. Know Alignment is both divine and arcane. Just because you can’t cast anything higher than a cantrip out of your spellbook doesn’t mean that you can’t put KA in there. Use Like Begets Like on it as well. Southern Magician might help, but nobody really understands how Southern Magician really works.
- Spread these heretical 2e spellbooks by means of Mindbender. Encourage their use. Rookie spellcasters are total suckers for “ancient, forbidden knowledge,” so this should be a piece of cake.
- Use Craft Wondrous to make other insane items with these weird spells, because you have nothing better to do while waiting for your spells to spread in popularity.
- Repeat the above as necessary.
SpoilerShowQ: Um, what exactly is the goal here?
A: See Phase Three.
Q: Huh? What exactly is it about your prayerbooks that lets you use LBL to get spells that don’t exist in them?
A: The Xanathar has shown us the way. These spells do exist. If they didn’t exist, the class feature that gives Know Alignment (as the spell) wouldn’t do anything, and WotC would never, ever make a nonsensical class feature that doesn’t do anything. If Know Alignment can only be found in the 2e PHB, then we obviously have access to the other spells in the 2e PHB as well, because the 2e PHB is now a legal source on the table. Ergo, the spells exist.
Q: Wait, that doesn’t follow. The hell are you doing here?
A: We’re turning a prayerbook containing one old 2e spell into a prayerbook containing a different 2e spell. This wouldn’t work on a prayerbook that doesn’t contain 2e spells, so only an Eye of the Xanathar can accomplish this. Like only works on like. We can do this. Other casters cannot, at least until we teach them. But once we open and/or bend their minds and show them these spells, the spells will spread like wildfire, and the masses will once again be rolling saves versus rods/staves/wands before you know it!
Q: Are you serious?
A: Please. I’m an Eye of the Xanathar.
Q: Isn’t this stupid?
A: Eye of the Xanathar needs WIS and CHA. How intelligent do you think anyone involved really is?
Q: Wait, but aren’t you an Archivist with INT?
A: PCs are exceptional by nature!
Q: You do realize that this is Iron Chef and that the Villainous Competition is over thataway, right?
A: One must learn to free one’s mind from meaningless distinctions.
Q: Did you really put in all this effort just for . . . this?
A: Please. I’m an Eye of the Xanathar.
Q: This isn’t how anything at all works. This is stupid and pointless.
A: There is a point! See Phase Three! For The Xanathar’s sake, try to keep up. Away with you!
Antiquarian Rogue: Complete Champion
Apprentice, Mentor: DMG2
Archivist: Heroes of Horror
Magical Training: Player’s Guide to Faerun
Know Alignment and other spells: AD&D 2e Player’s Handbook
Mindbender, Practiced Spellcaster: Complete Arcane
Southern Magician: Races of Faerun
Shaper of Form: Dragon Compendium