2018-05-09, 06:05 AM (ISO 8601)
Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me
Hi, guys! Here's an updated version of the list of scenes where MitD appears in. I've changed a few entries since the previous version, and finally added Start of Darkness.
Windscion, D.One, Yendor: thank you for your help. Everyone, please point out what else I should fix in this, and please describe scenes of the MitD's appearances in bonus strips in the books I don't have. Once I correct mistakes, you can just put this to the first posts of the next MitD thread, and threads after it.
Appearances of the MitD
Appearances in online strips.
- #23: Xykon says MitD is his secret weapon, will reveal him when the time is right.
- #37: Xykon and MitD watch Roy set off the booby-trapped door.
- #47: More crystal ball watching.
- #82: Redcloak tells MitD off for leaving mess in kitchen. More crystal ball watching. MitD is in magical darkness.
- #96: MitD can't see gate.
- #97: MitD joins Redcloak in evil laugh.
- #103: Xykon practices big reveal of MitD. Xykon is not satisfied, MitD listing spices to cook OotS with isn't scary enough.
- #105: Nothing.
- #106: Doesn't see gate again.
- #109, #110, #113: Nothing notable.
- #114: Xykon prepares to reveal MitD, gets interrupted. MitD is anxious.
- #117: MitD wants to get revealed, Redcloak and Xykon stops him.
- #120: Nothing notable.
- #147: MitD asks to hold Xykon's phylactery. Redcloak refuses, MitD had broken all his toys. MitD gets fanged Hello Kitty umbrella.
- #148: Nothing notable.
- #149: MitD does exposition about the initiation rituals.
- #190: MitD teaches Redcloak evil leadership.
- #191: MitD doesn't want to go into abandoned castle. Xykon tells MitD should be scary and powerful.
- #192: Nothing notable.
- #194: MitD asks lantern archons to light him up.
- #195: MitD asks why Serini's diary is useful, knows about magical books.
- #196: MitD knows about Dorukan. Doesn't know about gates.
- #299: MitD wants to be a valuable member. Redcloak says he can't help in making zombies.
- #331: Still confused about gate.
- #368: “Sometimes I eat to fill the loneliness.”
- #369, #371: Nothing notable.
- #373: Miko meets MitD.
- #374: MitD has to stop Miko. Feels Miko's full attack as only tickles. Plays “Who Can Hit the Lightest”, hits Miko and his far through the wall, but they survive.
- #375: MitD finds Miko's purse with letter from High Priest of Thor to Durkon, paper cuts his tongue.
- #376: Xykon had asked MitD to not let Miko get away, and this was Xykon's idea.
- #414: Nothing notable.
- #415: MitD crystal ball watching on Miko. Confused about gate.
- #422: MitD confused about Redcloak chewing out on decoy Xykon.
- #426: MitD confused about three Xykons.
- #428: Nothing.
- #431: MitD confused about four Xykons. Understands the distinction between arcane and divine spells. Redcloak explains the decoy strategy to him. MitD still doesn't understand.
- #447: Nothing notable.
- #451: MitD grumbles.
- #463: MitD plays tea party with toy green dragon. Paralyzed O-Chul arrives.
- #474: Still tea party, now with dead Roy too.
- #475: Haley and Durkon wants to retrieve Roy's body. MitD doesn't allow, shouts “Stop!” As alternate plan, Haley offers stew in exchange for Roy. Flashback to MitD eating moldy cheeseburger.
- #476: MitD enjoys Belkar's half-cooked vulture stew. As Haley and Belkar starts to leave, MitD hears they're the Order of the Stick, who he's supposed to devour.
- #477: MitD thinks about whether he should eat Haley and Belkar without Xykon introducing him first. Doesn't seem to notice Belkar's attack. Haley and Belkar escape while he's still thinking. MitD stomps after demon roach's advice, causes huge cracks in ground. “Wow! I didn't know I could do that!” Belkar lets O-Chul go, O-Chul falls back to MitD. MitD is “really tired all of a sudden. And still hungry.”
- #484: MitD carries the paralyzed O-Chul.
- #541: MitD is now in a large box with barred window. Wants to join Team Evil in betting game. Again bets on O-Chul escaping.
- #543: MitD says he hoped O-Chul would escape, but it didn't work. Still doesn't know gates. Wants to get out of the box, Xykon doesn't let him.
- #549: MitD is friends with O-Chul, trades food with him. Tells he eats anything but babies. Wants to start a club that girls can't join.
- #550: O-Chul questions MitD about why he's friends with Team Evil. MitD wants to play, O-Chul promises to play go with him in the morning.
- #651: MitD tells O-Chul about his youth. He always lived in the rainforest, although need not have been born there. His dad was BIG and a big eater. The MitD doesn't know what species he is or where he belongs, but thinks Redcloak and Xykon know. O-Chul convinces the MitD to start to think for himself, with a cheesy go metaphor. We see the go board. Fart joke at MitD's expense when Vaarsuvius arrives with a bang.
- #654: MitD still wants to get the darkness lit up. O-Chul escapes, and in his parting words, reminds the MitD of the lesson from #651. MitD calls O-Chul his real name for the first time.
- #658: MitD is worried about O-Chul.
- #661: MitD says O-Chul needs to escape now, because Xykon will be really angry. Calls O-Chul his friend again. Shouts “ESCAPE”, O-Chul and Vaarsuvius disappear. Xykon doesn't seem to realize it was the MitD's doing.
- #662: MitD is sleeping (or pretending to).
- #663: (MitD not present.) Vaarsuvius and O-Chul turn out to have arrived in Hinjo's camp. O-Chul requests the most learned scribe because he has questions about the escape.
- #699: MitD tries to replicate the escape on a hobgoblin. Deliberately misinterpreted Redcloak's words to bother someone else. Hobgoblin tells him he'd need to use magic for that to work, MitD says he's too dumb for that. MitD is worried about where he sent his friends and if they're safe. Mentions the other planes.
- #700: MitD is not allowed in Tsukiko's room. MitD asks Tsukiko's help because she knows both types of magic. They discuss Tsukiko's fascination with the undead. MitD recognizes ritual scroll as “half a ritual”. Tsukiko promises she'll try to help him find his friend.
- #701: Hobgoblin from #699 asks MitD to open the curtains before Redcloak's speech. MitD warns him about clumsiness with pulling a rope. MitD thinks the goblins are cheering for his performance with the curtain.
- #702: Nothing.
- #703: MitD reads Gobbotopia history booklet. Joke about how Jirix was dead.
- #704: Redcloak thinks MitD doesn't know what a prime minister is.
- #709: MitD meets up with Tsukiko to call in her promise to find his friends. Tsukiko tells him he shouldn't be friends with paladins, and that she can't help because the Cloister spell protects O-Chul from divination. Joke about Xykon's balls. Even if Tsukiko and Xykon can't help, MitD hopes he'll find O-Chul eventually, and recalls the detail O-Chul said about rain.
- #828: (MitD not present.) Redcloak says MitD still watches the crystal ball.
- #831: MitD (still in box) informs Redcloak that Xykon is angry. (The reason is that the resistance acquired his phylactery.)
- #832: MitD now under umbrella. (Team evil is preparing to leave.)
- #833: MitD still thinks of Tsukiko as a friend. Remark about the astral plane.
- #886: MitD does not appear in OotS's illusionary imagination of confrontation with Team Evil.
- #887: In tiny picture in illusion montage, MitD under umbrella drinking tea with O-Chul, while Elan, Roy and Durkon are present.
- #899: Team Evil arrives to Girard's pyramid, MitD under umbrella.
- #900: MitD's umbrella damaged after pyramid explodes. He asks which pelvis Xykon is looking for.
- #901: MitD recognizes the Order of the Stick, knows they are O-Chul's friends. MitD refers to the paralyzed O-Chul accidentally falling to his tea party as him having captured O-Chul. Worried about the party, bluffs to Xykon that O-Chul and Vaarsuvius are more dangerous and must be already at Kraagor's dungeon, while Roy's party distracts Team Evil here. He cleverly uses the fact that Xykon never remembers Roy. The bluff works, they depart to Kraagor's dungeon immediately.
- #1036: MitD shows off his new umbrella to Oona, with drawings of duckies.
- #1037: Oona calls him “Great Beast in Shadow”, magnificent and majestic, “like in wildest dreams”. He saw MitD under umbrella. He and Greyview the dog treats him as if he was Xykon's pet who should obey Xykon, but MitD isn't willing to accept that idea. Oona says he almost bought two humans as food to MitD, seems to have heard that a human was MitD's best friend, but misunderstood as if he was his favourite snack. He also says he'd seen under the umbrella, he's a “magnificent monster”, envies Xykon for owning him, and thinks it's a waste keeping him in the shadows.
- #1038: MitD understands that Redcloak needs to prepare his spells. Shows suspicious understanding of goblin culture with big words, demon roach lampshades that as clue to MitD puzzle.
- #1039: MitD gets permission to do the painting tonight.
- #1040: MitD feels lucky about new company, picks a door. Joke about adventure being off-screen.
- #1041: MitD falls back, paints cross on multiple doors, including ones not on the ground floor. Holds paint can and brush as if he had two hands.
- #1042: O-Chul and Lien covertly observe MitD doing that. O-Chul is happy that the MitD is not always obedient to Team Evil. O-Chul has a theory about MitD, but doesn't tell because nobody would believe it. O-Chul brought a go game board.
- No further appearance in online strips up to #1120.
Appearances in Start of Darkness (prequel book).
- page 49: MitD is sleeping then waking up. He's in the jungle and loves it there. Naively baited by a giant steak on a hook, he gets trapped in a box.
- Page 50: MitD asks hunters to let him out of the box, since it doesn't open from the inside. Hunters are surprised that he talks, and talks in Common. They believe he's a rare and expensive catch. “I never expected” They'll load him into the cargo hold of a boat.
- Page 83: MitD is about to perform in circus, has stage fright. He likes stew.
- Page 84: The ringmaster announces him as “Prepare to feast your eyes on ‘IT!’”. Audience reactions: “Oh my gods…”, “It's horrible!” (closing eyes), “And yet beautiful!”, “Mommy, I feel funny looking at it.”, “Blerrrch!” (vomiting), “I've never seen anything like it!”, “Woooooo!” (Redcloak's niece), “YEAH!” (Redcloak's nephew). MitD found the performance tough. The lady who cares for him doesn't understand, because every show he just “stands out on the stage and gets gawked at”. She gives him stew and has prepared his box. The lady also says the MitD's dinner was the same stew every day for over five years. MitD still likes stew.
- Page 84: After performance, Redcloak's brother Right-Eye and his children meet MitD. MitD is in the box eating the stew from a bucket. The box seems to be the same one as the one in #541. We see the box from its narrower side too: it has a window without bars there. MitD remains in this box for the rest of the book. MitD recognizes the family and plays with the younger children with his toy plush dragon from #463. Right-Eye: “Almost everyone else who spends a silver piece to get into the sideshow recoils in abject horror at the sight of you”. They leave but will return tomorrow.
- Page 85: Right-Eye says that no, they can't take the MitD home. He affirms that the MitD eats a lot of stew, and can sleep.
- Page 88: Presumably the next day, Redcloak, newly arrived in town, is supervising Right-Eye's children in the circus. They meet the MitD behind stage in his box again. Redcloak was impressed seeing him. MitD: “I don't fit into the leotards the trapeze artists wear. Probably has something to do with all the stew.” Redcloak affirms that the MitD could leave the circus and kill all the guards if he wanted, but MitD says that would be rude. Redcloak invites the MitD to work for him. Work involves “Being scary, mostly. Maybe some fighting.” MitD is not paid by circus, Redcloak will pay three times as much.
- Page 89: In Right-Eye's home, Redcloak tells him he wants to recruit the MitD for the Plan, because he's powerful.
- Page 90: During the night, Redcloak steals the monster from the circus. Lifts MitD's box onto a cart with great difficulties. MitD rocks the box to reach the bucket of stew.
- Pages 91, 92, 93: Still escaping from circus. MitD doesn't help, except he can lean his weight to steer the cart.
- Page 94: MitD eats cotton candy.
- Page 95: Nothing notable.
- Page 96: Xykon observes the MitD. Xykon says the MitD is ugly, and is his “secret weapon” now, to deal with any heroes who try to stop Xykon and the Plan, as in #103. They're unclear about the details: “Well… what do you do that really terrifies people?” “Um… let's see… I eat a lot?” “OK, then, when the heroes show up, you'll eat them!” “I've never eaten a hero before.” Xykon also magically charms the MitD to eat Redcloak if he ever betrays Xykon. MitD has swirly eyes, reacts out of character: “Yes, master”. Xykon promises him all the stew he can eat and toys, but refuses to let him out of the box when the MitD asks.
- Page 100: Redcloak orders MitD to lead the zombies to attack the castle of Dorukan.
- Page 101: MitD has no idea how to storm the castle. Asks zombies to bring him tacos instead.
- Page 103: A zombie has brought taco. MitD eats, with bite marks. MitD abuses the authority that Redcloak left him in charge.
- Page 104: MitD has a feast with a zombie bringing more taco and a goblin band playing music.
- Page 105: MitD still feasting. Xykon questions Redcloak about that.
- Page 109: MitD reacts to the news that Right-Eye died and won't be resurrected: “Awwwww, that sucks. He was fun.”. Offers taco to Redcloak.
- Page 110, 112: Nothing notable.
Update 2018-05-22: added #376.
Update 2018-05-29: in #475, fix spelling of "cheeseburger"; in #886, fix spelling of "confrontation"; #1037 fix spelling of "keeping"; SoD p. 88: fix spelling of "paid".
Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-05-29 at 09:24 AM.