As per the interest thread posted yesterday, this is the chat thread for the subclass contest for D&D 5e. I'll update this first post as contests progress.
Current Contest: Contest XV: The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
Current Voting Thread: May 25th
Another Useful Link: nickl_2000's Subclass Creation Guide and Analysis
Spoiler: Previous ContestsContest I: It's Technical won by Ivellius's Circle of Progress
Contest II: It Came From Beyond! won by Ninja_Prawn's Mirrorkin Sorcerous Origin
Contest III: So You Don't Have To won by Icecaster's Circle of the Conclave
Contest IV: I Read This in a Book, Once won by nickl_2000's Pinball Wizard
Contest V: Five Stars won by Evil the Cat's Circle of Stars
Contest VI: Bunch of Fives won by nickl_2000's College of the Luchador
Contest VII: Well, That's Fortunate won in a tie between Man_Over_Game's Fate Sorcery and Oubliette's Way of the Chance Dancer
Contest VIII: Something Borrowed won by Fnissalot's Relic Grifter
Contest IX: Follow Me! won by BerzerkerUnit's Tacticon Rogue
Contest X: Calling Card won by RickAsWritten's Bladecloak Rogue
Contest XI: Points For Everybody! won by RickAsWritten's Irradiated Fighter
Contest XII: It's Mind! won by RickAsWritten's Nilbog Patron
Contest XIII: Hold My Ale won by nickl_2000's Tavern Wench Rogue
Contest XIV: Make a Choice won by Damon_Tor's Vestige Patron
Spoiler: Class Representation
Rankings are based on number of submissions first, then number of contests.
Up to date as of Contest XIII
Class Number of Contests Total Number of Submissions Rank Barbarian 11 18 2nd Bard 9 13 5th Cleric 8 10 9th Druid 9 9 10th Fighter 8 18 3rd Monk 12 18 1st Paladin 8 11 6th Ranger 5 9 12th Rogue 9 13 4th Sorcerer 7 9 11th Warlock 8 11 6th Wizard 7 11 8th Artificer 1 1 13th Other/Homebrew 7 7 Unranked
Spoiler: Future Contest Ideas
It is Written (Destiny/Prophecy)
Refine Mayhem (Remake an existing subclass)
Hold the Line (Stationary heroes)
From Zero to Hero (Ordinary folks doing the extraordinary)
Subsystems Online (New game mechanics)
Keep it Simple, Stupid (simple subclasses)
My Way is Different (Alternate or rare mechanics)
The Pen is Mightier than the Sword ("Subclasses specializing in stationery combat" --Ninja_Prawn)
Scaling Strangely (Subclasses that scale from unusual values)
Warriors of Old (Subclasses from previous editions)
Bigger is Better (Subclasses which have something bigger about them)
The Band (Subclasses based on musical performance)
Spoiler: The Rules
- The class must fit the theme of the contest.
- Your class must be posted in the contest thread. If you wish, you can use external formatting, such as Google Docs or Homebrewery, though I recommend sharing it as a PDF to ensure that it works on most computers.
- You may only create one subclass, which must follow the normal progression for the class it belongs to. Please specify what class it is for. You can use any base class published in official material (including the Unearthed Arcana posts), or any existing homebrew class (don't make a whole base class just for your submission). If you are going to use a homebrew base class, make sure you get permission from its original creator and post a link so we know where to find it! Failure to get permission will be grounds for disqualification.
- Until the contest is finished, do not post your subclass anywhere else. If you are found to have done so, that subclass will be disqualified (though you will be allowed to post a new one if you wish, within reason).
- Your subclass must be complete by the deadline. After that, I will put up a voting thread. Any submissions or edits after that point will be considered invalid. A two week extension is implemented if at least three requests are made in the chat thread.
- Have fun, be respectful.