1. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest I: It's Technical

Ugh...technology. Definitely not my strength.

The following barbarian primal path is intended to capture the feel of Frankenstein's monster. I realize that it is maybe only thematically qualified for this contest; none of the features really scream technology. Someone, somewhere provided the inspiration on some of the flaws -- and if I can ever find who/where, I'll credit.

With that being said, I may end up editing this so much that it comes to resemble a completely different subclass (or could I just squeeze in all of my draft subclasses for this contest and let the comments winnow them down?).

Edit 1 (5/26): Edited Anguished Strength as it was confusing and probably OP. I've probably dipped too much into the Hit Die-as-power pool but like this iteration better. Many more edits to come I'm sure.

Path of the Monster
    For some, rage is not a choice but a byproduct of the tortured technology of their creation. Whether created as altruistic scientific experiments or as a dark means of alchemical vengeance, those of The Path of the Monster are trapped in the confusion and pain of their birth. Often hunted as aberrations and monstrosities, these barbarians must harness the rage of their torturous existence as a means of survival.

In addition to the features gained when you select this path, you also gain one of the following flaws as indicated by a d10 roll:

Flaw (d10)

1. My voice is rough and barely audible, my head is not joined well to my torso.
    2. I escaped my creator, and he or she will stop at nothing to recover me.
    3. I have disturbing nightmares from the lives – and deaths – of my component body parts.
    4. My face is that of a notorious criminal, traitor, or other widely reviled person.
    5. My creator’s experimentation left me with a debilitating fear of technology.
    6. I am wanted for questioning in the death of my creator.
    7. I have a fear of fire, driven by memories of the torches of those who drove me away.
    8. I desire to be alone and shun crowds, for I tend to hurt those around me.
    9. Most people view me as a monster and I certainly look the part.
    10. Clothing and material items are the trappings of life, something I don’t consider myself a part of.

Mismatched Parts
    The cadaverous parts your creator stitched together to make your body are able to mitigate damage and have an almost supernatural vitality. While raging, you can spend one or more Hit Dice as a reaction, up to your maximum number of Hit Dice. For each Hit Die you spend in this way, you roll the die and add your Constitution modifier. You regain hit points equal to the total.

You can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll. Any hit points gained in this manner that exceed your maximum number of hit points are gained as temporary hit points that last until your rage ends. Spending Hit Die in this manner consumes the die just as if you had used it during a short rest.

Anguished Strength
    You are able to draw upon your deep sorrow, pushing your chemically saturated and electrical fueled muscles to feats of superhuman strength. Beginning at 6th level, while raging, you add your Rage Damage bonus to your Strength attribute and are treated as one size larger for the purposes of grapple, shove, and overrun (DMG p272) attempts . Beginning at 6th level, while raging, you can spend one or more of your Hit Die any time you successfully deal damage with a melee attack. For each Hit Die you spend in this way, you roll the die and add to your damage. When you spend a Hit Die in this manner, you are treated as one size larger for the purposes of grapple, shove, and overrun (DMG p272) attempts until the start of your next turn.

Misunderstood Monstrosity
    Though your face may be that of a monster, the mind behind the flesh can have surprising emotional depth and intelligence and is often underestimated. Beginning at 10th level, you can never have disadvantage when making contested Persuasion or Deception checks.

In addition, you can draw upon your experiences with the cruelty of humanity (and the occasional kindness) to give yourself a flash of insight. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn give yourself one Insight die, a d10. Once within the next ten minutes as long as you are not raging, you can roll the die and add the number rolled to one Intelligence, Charisma, or Wisdom ability check. You can wait until after your roll the d20 before deciding to use the Insight die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once your Insight die is rolled, it is lost and you don’t regain its use until you finish a long rest.

Electrical Conduit
    You were animated with electrical energy, channeled by your creator through contacts placed on your body – typically small protruding metal rods in the skull or neck. Starting at 14th level, you are completely immune to lightning damage and do not need to make saving throws against attacks that deal this type of damage. Any attack that deals lightning damage instead heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing causes you to exceed your full normal hit points, you gain any excess as temporary hit points.

In addition, when affected by an attack that inflicts lightning damage, you gain the benefits of the haste spell with the exception that you do not suffer the lethargy effect and the effect lasts until the start of your next turn.
    Last edited by Mourne; 2018-05-27 at 01:13 AM.