Entry number 4

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Pocket

Paulie Pocket, The Body Bag

N Dragonborn (Wings Aspect) Skarn Psychic Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Psychic Rogue 3/Hoardstealer 10/Totemist 7

Stats
Spoiler
Show
(with racial adjustments)
Str 15 (17) (increases here)
Dex 14 (10)
Con 14 (16)
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 8

Build
Spoiler
Show
Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
1st Psychic Rogue 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Appraise 4, Disable Device 4, Escape Artist 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Open Lock 4, Psicraft 2(4), Search 4, Tumble 4 Hidden Talent (Expansion) Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding
2nd Totemist 1 +0 +2 +4 +0 Concentration 5, Psicraft 2.5(1), Tumble 5 Wild Empathy, Skilled City Dweller (Ride to Tumble), Illiteracy
3rd Totemist 2 +1 +3 +5 +0 Concentration 6, Listen 2, Psicraft 3(1), Spot 2, Tumble 6 Body Pouch Totem Chakra Bind (+1 capacity)
4th Psychic Rogue 2 +2 +3 +6 +0 Appraise 6, Concentration 7, Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Search 6 Evasion
5th Pyschic Rogue 3 +3 +4 +6 +1 Appraise 8, Concentration 8, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Search 8
6th Hoardstealer 1 +3 +4 +8 +1 Concentration 9, Use Magic Device 8 Barbed Stinger Darkvision +30 ft, Trapfinding
7th Hoardstealer 2 +4 +4 +9 +1 Concentration 10, Disable Device 8, Search 10, Use Magic Device 10 Hide from Dragons 1/Day
8th Hoardstealer 3 +5 +5 +9 +2 Balance 3, Concentration 11, Disable Device 11, Search 11, Use Magic Device 11 Trap Sense +2, Deep Pockets
9th Hoardstealer 4 +6/+1 +5 +10 +2 Balance 5, Concentration 12, Disable Device 12, Psicraft 4(2), Search 12, Use Magic Device 12 Practiced Manifester Treasure Dowsing 1/day
10th Hoardstealer 5 +6/+1 +5 +10 +2 Concentration 13, Disable Device 13, Jump 5, Search 13, Use Magic Device 13 Darkvision +60 ft
11th Hoardstealer 6 +7/+2 +6 +11 +3 Concentration 14, Disable Device 14, Search 14, Tumble 8.5(5), Use Magic Device 14 Trap Sense +4, Hide from Dragons 2/day
12th Hoardstealer 7 +8/+3 +6 +11 +3 Concentration 15, Disable Device 15, Search 15, Tumble 11(5), Use Magic Device 15 Shape Soulmeld (Mauling Gauntlets) Treasure Dowsing 2/day
13th Hoardstealer 8 +9/+4 +6 +12 +3 Disable Device 16, Search 16, Spot 3(2), Tumble 13(4), Use Magic Device 16 Skill Mastery (Concentration, Disable Device, Listen, Search, Spot, Use Magic Device)
14th Hoardstealer 9 +9/+4 +7 +12 +4 Disable Device 17, Listen 4(4), Search 17, Spot 4.5(3) Darkvision +90 ft, Trap Sense +6
15th Hoardstealer 10 +10/+5 +7 +13 +4 Disable Device 18, Listen 6(4), Search 18, Spot 6(3) Open Lesser Chakra (Arms) Treasure Dowsing 3/day, Hide from Dragons 3/day
16th Totemist 3 +11/+6/+1 +7 +13 +5 Disable Device 19(2), Listen 7, Search 19(2), Spot 8 Totem’s Protection
17th Totemist 4 +12/+7/+2 +8 +14 +5 Disable Device 20(2), Listen 9, Search 20(2), Spot 9
18th Totemist 5 +12/+7/+2 +8 +14 +5 Disable Device 21(2), Listen 10, Search 21(2), Spot 11 Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulders) Chakra Binds (Crown, Feet, Hands)
19th Totemist 6 +13/+8/+3 +9 +15 +6 Disable Device 22(2), Listen 13, Search 22(2), Spot 13 Totem Chakra Bind (+1 Meldshaper Level)
20th Totemist 7 +14/+9/+4 +9 +15 +6 Disable Device 23(2), Listen 15, Search 23(2), Spot 16

Spells
Spoiler
Show
Spells per Day
Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
6th 0* - - - - - - - -
7th 1 - - - - - - - -
8th 1 0* - - - - - - -
9th 1 1 - - - - - - -
10th 1 1 0* - - - - - -
11th 1 1 1 - - - - - -
12th 2 1 1 0 - - - - -
13th 2 1 1 1 - - - - -
14th 2 2 1 1 - - - - -
15th-20th 2 2 2 1 - - - - -

Powers
1st: Expansion, Entangling Ectoplasm, Far Hand, Vigor

Backstory
Spoiler
Show
You ever meet a kobold? They’re mean little suckers, I tell you what. But they’re crafty, too. They can’t fight worth much one on one, but they are clever enough to make all sorts of traps. The points on some of those things are sharper than Mephistopholes himself. I can’t remember how many times I’ve seen someone underestimate them and end up triggering so many traps they get killed ten times before they hit the ground. If you’re fixin’ to fight some kobolds, you better be ready to jump like a frog in a frying pan. I’ve learned more about traps from them than you probably want to know.

The other thing to know about kobolds is that, to hear them say it, they’ve all got dragon blood in their veins. Now of course, every Elminster, Rary, and Bigby’s got a little bit of dragon blood in them, but kobolds actually mean it. Not quite like my dragonblood, you understand. Mine’s a more noble extraction, from a dedication to the cause. A fair number of kobolds have a whole heap of dragon blood in ‘em, enough that they’re basically dragons themselves! ‘Course they’re still pretty little, but they must know what they’re doing, ‘cause every last one that I’ve seen is old as dirt. The important thing is, they're so much like dragons that some of my little tricks for slipping past dragons work just as well on them.

What’s the point of my yarn spinning? Well ain’t you an impatient one! Well you see, everyone kind of underestimates the kobolds, like I said, and that applies to my fellow Dragonborn as well. They’re all for killing them big dragons that are always burninating the countryside, but if the number of crotchety old Dragonwrought kobolds is any indication, they’re overlooking a growing problem. And that’s where I come in. I decided to do my questing in their mines instead of a big dragon cave and I found myself a nest of ‘em. It took some doing, but I cleared them out, all right.

What’s that? You heard I did it so I could steal their hoards? Now I take offense to that. Didn’t your momma ever teach you that it ain’t stealin’ if you’re taking it from a thief? Besides, I’m on a mission to fight evil dragons, so it’s spoils of war and all that. Now go away, you bother me.

Level 5
Spoiler
Show
Let’s start at the beginning and, when we get to the end, stop. Skarn has some helpful stat adjustments, and Dragonborn further helps to beef up. It helpfully also grants immunity to frightful presence and extra AC vs dragons, valuable for an anti-dragon class like this. You might think that this is rather a heavy investment in strength for a skulk, and I’d agree with you. But since the SI doesn’t grant Hide, MS, or sneak attack, clearly we’re not building a skulk. Dragonborn provides wings which for now grant gliding. The only thing besides stat adjustments you’re keeping from skarn is the reptilian subtype, which will help us by letting us take Body Pouch. For now it’s a good place to hide things.

The SI calls for a number of skills to qualify, and we’ll be qualifying with Psychic Rogue, as it also suits our interests. It also provides a little sneak attack and some psionics. Entangling Ectoplasm provides a solid debuff to start a fight or slow down pursuers, Far Hand extends your sticky fingers, and Vigor gives you some temp hp to prep for fights. Expansion can make you bigger and stronger, and it can extend your reach in a fight.

We’re also going to spend some time in Totemist for some combat readiness. The totem bind gets you all the fancy natural attacks, and being Dragonborn gives you access to the draconic soulmelds, notably the dragon tail and claws of the wyrm which both give natural attacks when shaped.

Level 10
Spoiler
Show
Now it’s time to start talking about Hoardstealer. Now that we’ve entered we can start investing heavily in UMD to help round out the SI’s utility shortcomings. Our other skill points will go into disable device and search to fulfill the class’s trap-focused role. The darkvision the class grants helpfully stacks with any existing, so you can combine it with the basilisk mask for some very long range. Treasure Dowsing may seem limited, but you can also use it in a bind to dowse for hidden enemies, as their treasure will ping on your radar.

Enough preamble; let’s get to what this class is really about. Deep Pockets is the most interesting of the abilities, so it is the focus of this build. You can use it on any container, and Body Pouch means you always have a container to cram things into. Moving things is perfectly fine, but we’re also going to cram in creatures. The feat very explicitly allows you to place creatures inside. They have to be 2+ size categories smaller? Enter practiced manifester, allowing you to manifest expansion to become Huge (and also providing more PP to use on it). It requires a grapple check? That’s perfectly fine, since you have Barbed Stinger to initiate grapples on any creature you attack. You might wonder where the stinger to qualify for this feat is coming from. The answer is from the totem bind of the Wormtail Belt. We’ll keep it constantly bound to avoid any issues with continuous qualification. The sting’s poison helpfully damages Strength to make grappling easier for you. The boost to Strength and the +8 size bonus also make grapple easier. You can further stack the odds by shaping and investing essentia in the girallon arms. Once you’ve started the grapple, you still have another iterative left over to cram your target into your Body Pouch, where the bag of holding effect takes them.

Once your target is inside, the rules get a little interesting. The Bag of Holding effect gives them 10 minutes of air, which means you will have plenty of time on the effect to suffocate whatever you pop in. A desperate opponent may attempt to cut their way out, which will result in the contents (read: them) being irrevocably lost. I’m not sure what the bag being ruined would translate to since this isn’t a real Bag of Holding, It might end the effect. Talk to your DM.

Level 15
Spoiler
Show
With our central trick established, we can now turn our attention to enhancing our success and diversifying. With the SI wrapped up your Deep Pockets have a healthy duration and maximum weight. Skill Mastery is very useful, and will allow you to stop investing in Concentration and UMD. The boost will also help you hit those highest DCs for finding and disabling traps, and may allow you to do some of the fancy tricks like bypassing a trap while still having it be set. We’re also going to boost Spot and Listen, as we’re directing our skill points in that direction. You can further boost with the right melds. With maximum darkvision up you can see out to 180 feet (210 feet at level 18 on) with the basilisk mask, enough to see most creatures before they see you.

Opening your arms provides you with another boost to grapple checks, and also opens up more options for your melds, like rend by binding Girallon arms, easily combined with Claws of the Wyrm. The Mauling Gauntlets provide another boost to your grapple checks to keep your chance of success high. From level 12 on you can fly at 30 feet indefinitely, so you don’t have to spend any melds on flight.

As we’re finished with the SI, let’s briefly discuss spells here. Invisibility and Spider Climb can help you get the drop on your foes to start grappling them. Cat’s Grace can help offset the penalty to Dex from Expansion. Freedom of Movement can help you escape from a grapple that hasn’t gone how you wanted. Dimension Door can be used to isolate a foe from others once you’ve put them in your Body Pouch.

Level 20
Spoiler
Show
Finished with the SI, we’re returning to Totemist to become a better hulking brute. More levels mean more melds, essentia, binds, and slots. We spend the feat to open the shoulders for some very fun effects. Pounce and Trip are on the table, as are miss chance, ethereal movement, and DR/magic, which also means magic strike. Lots of your build is modifiable as a totemist, just make sure you don’t lose sight of those melds that help you fulfill your central purpose of cramming enemies into your Body Pouch.

Sources
Spoiler
Show
Psychic Rogue: Mind’s Eye
Totemist, Skarn, Shape Soulmeld, Open Lesser Chakra: Magic of Incarnum
Dragonborn: Races of the Dragon
Draconic Melds: Dragon Magic
Hidden Talent: Expanded Psionics Handbook pg 67 sidebar
Body Pouch, Barbed Stinger: Serpent Kingdoms
Practiced Manifester: Complete Psionic
Powers: srd
Skilled City Dweller: Cityscape Enhancement