Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
This is something that I always felt was going to happen, too. As the series went on...

Spoiler
Show
...Terry was writing in more and more anachronisms, getting further and further away from the medieval setting and out the other side of the Victorian era. It seemed to me to be only a matter of time until someone discovered electricity, at which point Ankh Morpork and all the other cities became "real world" cities.

With the machine era in full swing, with the more mystical characters dying off, with the clacks being an equivalent to texting and so on, magic was slowly being removed from the world until it became... normal. And I think I mean that literally; Dwarfs and trolls would slowly stop being dwarf and trolls in the biological sense, and the wizards would slowly become just a normal - if eccentric - university, until the Discworld ended up right where it began in 1980's Britain, with the same subcultures thinly disguised as they battled the same social problems.
While I'd personally have absolutely hated that direction, I think that seems pretty plausible.