Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
This has been done before, but I don't think it really gets old, and is also a good way to revive the thread. Therefore:
What was the first song/album that got you into metal (or heavy rock)?
Death's Scream Bloody Gore. I was pretty young at the time-- thirteen or fourteen-- and I think some of the more off-the-wall stuff my parents listened to (Magma, chiefly) sort of equipped me to appreciate the extreme nature of the music in a way I might not have otherwise. I sadly don't remember just what my immediate reaction was, or what exactly hooked me about it, but it pretty much sparked my passion for music where hitherto I had listened to music and enjoyed it but never quite fallen in love with it. Perhaps ironically, it was only after Scream Bloody Gore got me into extreme metal (Suffocation and Deicide were other early favourites) that I was able to go on to appreciate softer forms of rock and pop. I've branched out significantly since then, but metal remains, you might say, my first love.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
But my tastes on the fringes leaned more goth/noise/experimental, as my friends got into extreme metal in the 90s, it wasn't doing much for me.
I've actually been meaning to ask, since you seem to be the most well-versed in the realms of goth, if you can recommend any bands/albums in the vein of Clan of Xymox's Medusa. I may have asked this before because I've been on a quest ever since I first heard that album to find another with quite the same vibe, but I've come up short.