1. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mirror Images, AoE damage, Magic Missile, and such

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    When you say 'effects', I assume you mean spells and non-Attack abilities from monsters.
    Aye. Could just say 'spell' though, that's not unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    So, upcast Hold Person? Magic Missile hitting 2 creatures?
    What about Magic Missile when targeting only the caster, but since it's 3 different darts,has each to be redirected or is the spell itself that is redirected in toto? And if each has has to be redirected, ending up targeting both a creature and an illusion, what happens?
    What if i target a creature and something that is not a creature in general, like fireball that targets a point? Fireball and area: what if there is only the caster in the area? Do the duplicates count?
    Things that do not target creatures, but pieces of worn equipment like Heat Metal?
    What if targeting is made by something that is not a creature, like a Glyph of Warding?
    Does falling count as an effect?
    Does a poisoned blade have different rolls for attack and poison, if the attack still manage to hit the caster?
    Upcast Hold Person, each one redirects (no two holds can be same target), Magic Missile each dart is redirected individually but simultaneously (potentially doubling up on hits), AoE effects don't disrupt images, Heat Metal is 'single target' so subject to redirect, ideally follows the same rules as if a creature did it, falling is not an effect (gravity is an AoE ), the poison of a blade effects the same thing the blade hit (no redirect).

The problem is wording all that in elegantly. Probably why the devs chose the way they did I suppose.

Rearranged. Also, not a fan of the system. I prefer the single d20 solution of the original. Add a "or duration runs its course" or something as a condition for a spell to end. I know, duration, but it's still repeated in RAW, sometimes, for clarity.
    To each their own, I just liked the even chances. Actually a d12 could be used in all cases of 4, 3 and 2 potential targets, d12s are underused.

Again, rearranged. I suppose a blind person and someone guessing the position or simply targeting by hearing is fine then?
    Aye, though for a lot of spells 'target you can see' is specified.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2018-09-24 at 06:45 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika