View Single Post

Thread: D&D Subclass Contest IV Voting Thread

1. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest IV Voting Thread

Wooo, another contest down! Well done to everybody who submitted.

1. The Heart of the Cards Patron by gloryblaze. To invent an entirely new mechanic for a subclass contest is impressive enough, but the more times I re-read this, the more I love it. It addresses one of the main drawbacks of the warlock in limited spell slots, but without making it blatantly overpowered (I think. It is a little difficult to comment on this one without playtesting.) The element of randomness/chaos might be frustrating to some, but I think there's something to be said for that feeling of triumph a player would get when they pull the card at just the right time. Trap Card would need to be discussed with your DM, but if one of my players brought this subclass to me as is, we'd definitely be able to work something out. Creative, flavourful, and fun - exactly what you want from your homebrew.

2. Pinball Wizard by nickl_2000. Inspiring inspiration in the form of an old earworm. Follows the wizarding tradition pattern of some very strong features and some more niche ones. I still don't think No Distractions needs the bit about keeping advantage/disadvantage, but that's a very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.

3. Gluttony Domain by Ivellius. A unique theme I've never seen before, and fitting spell list/mechanics. I particularly like how the features are split between boosting melee capabilities and buffing potential, allowing for a support character that doesn't feel pigeonholed into do-nothing-while-I-concentrate-on-a-spell. I would love to play a morbidly obese Goliath Gluttony cleric as a sort of half-ogre on a ravenous hunger pilgrimage.

Congrats to everyone involved! It was a tough decision to pick a final 3.

My two cents for the next contest:

1. Keep it Simple, Stupid
    2. Bunch of Fives
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-31 at 09:40 PM.
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)