Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
No, you see, if warlock isn't a spellcasting class, then that means a Warlock/Wizard doesn't get to choose which class to advance, because she only has one spellcasting class, and you only get the choice if you have more than one. She'd have to advance wizard. Am I wrong?
Complete Arcane is not clear on the subject, and as you pointed out does not actually specify that you need to assign the +1s, so I'd be up to the DM. But I do not see the relevance? You are arguing about a situation where you enter the class with a multiclass Warlock/spellcaster, where I am trying to explain that there is a benefit gained if you enter as a single-class Warlock. Its not even an analogous situation.

I am sure there is a very interesting discussion to be had about how that works when you enter as a Warlock/spellcaster, but that is not this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
Edit: It would also make warlocks ineligible for classes like human paragon.

No advancement at all. Sucks to be the warlock, I guess.
No, you'd still be eligible if you qualified racially.

RAW you are correct, Warlock says you can benefit from the +1 level of spellcasting despite not being a spellcaster, but Human Paragon says if you are not a spellcaster you cannot benefit from that feature. And Human Paragon is the more specific case. I believe most DMs would rule that you cannot benefit in spell advancement from that, but RAW you are correct.