Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
Exaggerated though it may be, I think this is one thing that a lot of people never fully understood, myself included.

You climb a tree at level 1 - it's DC 10. It's a level 1 challenge.

You climb that same tree at level 30, it's still DC 10. Because it hasn't stopped being a level 1 challenge.

It was actually 13th Age's explanation that let me fully understand, DC math is based on the approximate level of the obstacle or terrain, not the players. Yes, most terrain or obstacles that a party faces will likely be around their level, but they don't need to be, if it doesn't make sense.

Anyways, it doesn't really change your point at all. Just felt like commenting.
I think I agree; I use the DC tables to set a fixed DC according to the theoretical level of the object (for instance, the owner of the house you are breaking into in lower paragon can afford level 13 locks).

However, this still creates issues because of the half-level bonus. Ignoring the two mandatory stat bumps, for my verisimilitude a 30th level Dex/Wis rogue who never bumped Str shouldn't be 15 points better at kicking in a door (as opposed to picking the lock) than he was at 1st level.

Now, you can't get rid of the half level bonus because checks are sometimes made against NADs. So my notional fix is that the DC to kick down the DC 10 door should be read as "DC 10 + half level".