1. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Fighter Chronomancer Subclass Replacement - An Exercise in Balance

Oath of Relativity

The Tenants of Relativity
    • Fight for the Future - Faced with any choice, I choose the greater evil.
    • By Any Means Necessary- Be the shield for the future against the past.
    • Deterrence - If my foes again wreak ruin on the world, it is because I failed to stop them. I must help those who will be harmed by their misdeeds

Oath Spells
    Level Spells
    3rd Feather Fall, Expeditious Retreat
    5th Hold Person, Augury
    9th Misty Step, Slow
    13th Divination, Dimension Door
    17th Hold Monster, Greater Restoration

Channel Divinity
    When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity options:
    • Aging Touch
      The touch of your shadow wreathed hand can twist the impact of time on others. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you can use Channel Divinity to deal extra necrotic damage to the target. The damage equals twice your paladin level, and ages that creature for a number of years equal to half that amount. If it was a critical hit, you can choose to siphon those years instead, and reduce your age by up to that amount of years.
    • Splinter Twin
      As an action, you create a visual illusion of yourself that lasts for 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The illusion appears in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you. The illusion looks exactly like you; it is your size, is insubstantial, and doesn't occupy its space; and it is unaffected by attacks and damage. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 40 feet to a space you can see, but the illusion must remain within 80 feet of you. For the duration, you can speak and cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses. Additionally, when both you and your illusion are within 5 feet of a creature that can see the illusion, you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature, given how uncanny the illusion is.

Time Stretch
    Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures who start their turn within 10 feet of you have their speed increased by 10 ft and may perform an additional reaction before the start of their next turn.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Chance for Glory
    Starting at 15th level, as a bonus action, you can choose an expended spell slot to recover. The first time you do so, you suffer no adverse effect. If you use this feature again before you finish a long rest, you suffer one level of Exhaustion.

Temporal Manipulation
    At 20th level, you can opt to slow down time as an action, which gives you the following benefits for 1 minute:
    • Your speed is doubled
    • Other creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against you
    • You have advantage on all saving throws
    • You gains an additional action on each of your turns.
    When this feature ends, you can't move or take actions until the end of your next turn, and you suffer two levels of Exhaustion.
    Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

• This is your concept, built out as a Paladin Oath. It kept bugging me, so I figured I'd write it down.
    • I decided to not add the racial restrictions to make sure only Jean-Claude Van Damme plays this class. I'm sure it's simply understood.
    • The tenants are based on Oath of Vengeance, just rejiggered to match the theme
    • The bonus spell list was based on your list on post #2, save the very last one, which I'll get to later.
    • Your Inflict Wounds-style aging touch is your first Channel Divinity
    • I added a the duplicate ability to give you the ability to be in 2 places at once, fluffed as either speed or a future or past version of you popping in to assist. I used the verbiage of the Oath of Treachery, with a shorter range, but you can speak through.
    • The Time Stretch Aura is Longstrider with an added feature of being able to react more
    • Chance of Glory is based on a less-useful version of the Arcane Recovery ability. You can refresh a single spell slot for free, or take them from the future at an increasingly dangerous rate using the exhaustion condition. EDIT: I switched from the Tides of Chaos verbage to the overchannel verbage to make it more clear.
    • Temporal Manipulation is basically a super-Haste/Action Surge Hybrid, which, like the 'zerker barbarian, gives exhaustion when used.
    • I included Greater Restoration as a bonus spell so the PC could, themselves, remove one of the levels of exhaustion without resting. It can throw you for a loop, because you can also turn around and use Chance of Glory to get the slot back... but then using it for anything else will give you exhaustion again. Time keeps ticking!
    Last edited by Vogie; 2019-02-28 at 12:39 PM.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Friday Night DM for the Natural21s on Twitch on JennyBear, VOD on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.