1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I would hardly call fortifying intelligence an "exploit", it's a perfectly standard effect that's designed to be used in exactly this way. Once your enchantment skill reaches 50-60 or thereabouts, you can reasonably hope to create any level of enchantment you like in a few attempts. You need a surplus of soul gems, but by that time even grand souls are easy enough to find.
    One, I did not say that fortifying intelligence is an exploit, I said that you needed a high enchant skill to create decent enchanted items unless you were abusing fortify intelligence effects. Drinking a Fortify Intelligence potion and casting a Fortify Intelligence spell is one thing; drinking 10 Fortify Intelligence potions, creating 10 more, drinking all of them, and then creating your item is something else.

Two, even with 100 Intelligence and 100 Luck, an Enchant skill of 50 or 60 only gives you something like a 50-50 chance of successfully creating an enchantment that costs around 15 enchantment points, which would be something like Fire Damage 1-15 points for 5 seconds on Target. An enchantment costing 25 points, such as Constant Effect Restore Health 1 point or Constant Effect Shield 2-3 points, would only be successfully created on about 1 in 4 attempts, and 35+ point enchantments such as Constant Effect Restore Health 1 point Restore Fatigue 1 point are completely out of reach.

Three, while Grand Souls may be easy to acquire by the time you have 50 or 60 Enchant skill, Grand Soul Gems are not; as good as Azura's Star is, it can only hold a single soul at a time, and the only vendor with a restocking supply of Grand Soul Gems in the unmodded game is in Mournhold. It is not worth expending a Grand Soul Gem on an enchantment that you don't have better than even odds to create successfully, and unless you're abusing Fortify Intelligence effects you're not going to have better-than-even odds of creating an enchantment that's actually worth using a Grand Soul and Grand Soul Gem for when your Enchant skill is only 50 or 60.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-03-04 at 04:10 PM.