Romantic Lake Boating

Natalie doesn't understand what at least half those words mean! She's nodding and agreeing, though. Trying to look like she knows what a 'stem cell', 'nanite', 'implant' and 'programmed' are.

"Right, so. Imagine a graph, yes? It's got two axis, one at the bottom and one going up. The bottom axis is the y axis, so that's how far away things are ahead or behind me- my axis point is 0,0. The z axis is the one going up, and that's how high up they are. The x axis is because this is a three-dimensional graph, that's how far things are to my left and right. Got that so far?" Before Karasu can reply, Natalie continues. "Well, the lemon, apple and strawberry axis are like those ones, except they aren't going anywhere and don't appear on the graph. They're the ones that plunge through the porous medium of meta-objective reality and enter parallel, invisible and intangible sub-realities that theoretically only exist when they are required and which don't obey all the same rules of temporal mechanics, spatial cohesion or runic geometry." And that's about as simple as Natalie can make it.