1. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: [Planescape] Clerics don't really make sense in Sigil, do they?

Again, the setting is infinite, but if one focuses on Sigil alone, sure. They won't be as useful to you as they might be (as you are not playing AD&D), but I'm working on a batch of clerics that would be useful for the mindset you seem to have.

Now that I think of it, though, I was also making sure they'd be solid for Sigil play under the 2e rules (ie deities of the outlands/concordant opposition)...which might not matter too much if it isn't actually the same game.

I do not follow/agree about some of what you are saying, but you will be the DM, so you can make it true, so there is no point to argue it, the game will be as you wish it to be.

EDIT: Anyhoo,
    how about:
    a cleric, or cleric/fighter of Ulaa (Greyhawk mountain/mining goddess); human, dwarf, gnome or stout halfling; as clueless, or better, in the Harmonium?
    cleric or cleric/fighter of Morrigan(war/combat goddess); faction: Doomguard
    cleric or cleric/fighter of Goibhniu (god of armorers, weaponsmyths, healing): several faction options
    dustman cleric of Yen-Wang-Yeh(YEN-LO-WANG, god of the dead)

Others included Diancecht (healing/medicine), Lugh (arts, skills, excellence, war, sorcery), Oghma (words, languages, knowledge), Bes, Nuada, Thoth, Boccob, Zilchus, Gond, Waukeen, Gilean, & Shinare.

However, if it is not following D&D rules, that gives more freedom, actually. Usually, traveler gods of all stripes are a good choice for planescape, but if that is not the case, skip them (as I mostly did). Nature gods aren't much for the city, though again, in some campaigns they would be better (on the trips). But there certainly ARE gods that suit urban games very well indeed.

Gods of trade, commerce, cities, thieves, assassins, guards/guardianship, crafts of all sorts(smiths, weavers, inventors, engineering, cobblers, fletchers, etc, etc), knowledge, language, song, dance, poetry, merchants, excellence, the dead, disease, medicine, etc are all as relevant, or MORE relevant, in a place like Sigil.

Choices on deities the people OF Sigil prefer (as opposed to those passing through or newcomers, which is any/all religions & gods) can emphasize the setting tone, including the one you are zeroing in on, and still maintain a diversity of beliefs (which is key, as it is the centerpiece of the whole place: philosophers with clubs, indeed).
    Last edited by CE DM; 2019-04-04 at 11:24 AM.