Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
Now, are these tradeoffs worth it? For me, absolutely; I value story far more than I do customization. If customization is your thing, though, Witcher 3 won't do the trick. You might value the tradeoff enough to want the game, but it's not really fair to sit there and say the tradeoff isn't there.
The thing is, I really can't think of any reason why you couldn't have the multiple branching quests without also offering decent character customisation. CD Projekt Red *had* to have their main character be mostly fixed because of the story they based him on, not because that was a requirement for setting up the quests just so--in fact, a lot of the choices in the quests were based on customising the *character* of Geralt as you wanted, even if you couldn't change his appearance.

I guess there's also a Bethesda example which proves this point: have you ever played the Far Harbor DLC for Fallout 4? That DLC had a huge variety of ways to play and possible outcomes, yet it's a Bethesda game with Bethesda customisation. If they could only maintain that level for a whole game (e.g. ES6) then I'd have no complaints whatsoever.