View Single Post

Thread: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    By the way, here are the feats I'm thinking of, in no specific order: Mage slayer, crossbow expert, skulker, sniper, mobility.
    That all sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade
    All of that seems great! Now I'm thinking of stealing this for a game...
    There's a lot of good stuff in the Bronze Age in general to use as inspiration. I think the fact that our knowledge of it's history is so incomplete that it adds a certain element of mystery to it.

I picked up Message, True Strike and Minor Illusion as wizard cantrips. Tieflings also get Thaumaturgy as a racial power.
    Level 1 spells:
    Utility: Identify, Detect magic, Find familiar
    Control: Grease
    Control/Stealth: Sleep
    And also, Tasha's hideous laughter because I just love the story behind that spell.

I don't know what wizard specialization I'll pick.

Let's note that Arcane Recovery let's a Wizard recover one slot after a short rest. Knowing that I only have 2 level one slots anyways...

By the way, is it OK if I start game with a familiar already summoned? (Thanks to the Find familiar spell?)
    Yes, you can certainly start with your familiar.

On True Strike: I'd like to make a change to it to make it's niche a little more pronounced, since I think it's got pretty high opportunity costs (I'll add this under the Variant Rules in the OP):

True Strike
    Divination cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: S
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round
    You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the targetís defenses. On your next turn, you cannot suffer disadvantage on your first attack roll against the target, and also gain advantage on that same roll, provided that this spell hasnít ended.

This lets it counteract particularly adverse circumstances. The default True Strike's action economy just isn't worth it most of the time, and it overlaps with Find Familiar somewhat by having your familiar use the Help Action in combat. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-07 at 11:46 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)