Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari
You might want to add the words "temperature bands" after "2," just to avoid confusion.
10d6 per round is far, far too much, even for a CR 12 creature.
You think so? I think you're right, now that I look at it. Since it ignores hardness and DR, that's an average of 35 damage every round to items. And magic items generally don't have that many hit points. I'm going to reduce it drastically, to 2d6 damage (average of 7), which makes it still very dangerous to magic items, but far less lethal to constructs with reach. An average magic weapon should be able to survive maybe two or three rounds in the aura, depending on how the DM rolls damage.

Why is this ability part of this subtype?
Because all ocanthicite creatures share this trait, not just the blackice shadow. I have other blackice creatures in production, and each has the same advantage.

What about creatures who are immune to cold damage?
All creatures with the cold subtype have immunity to cold, although the opposite is not always true. A creature that is immune to cold but that does not have the cold subtype is treated the same as a creature with the cold subtype. I'll specify this in the ocanthicite subtype.

What range?
An ocanthicite's telepathy is 60 ft., unless otherwise specified Thank you for drawing my attention to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramil Liadon
Ooh, rust monster!
Rust monster, and then some. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Aramil Liadon
Still, I like this one better. Lots more coolness (ha ha) and superior fluff, as well as being a tougher fight. Though I see the reason for it, the treasure seems way too low, esp. because it tends to die when the creature does.
The damage to magic items is a bit high as well, and if you don't get the cash back as treasure, running is actually a better idea.
In spite of the flavor text, I see most encounters with blackice shadows to be intentional, rather then simply by chance. In such cases, the creature would be rather difficult to run from. True, it doesn't have much in the way of treasure, but if it's a truly memorable encounter, I don't think to many PCs should really mind. ^_^