1. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Feat: Lightning Reflexes (extra reaction, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    Huh, I was thinking of axing the movement, but it does add something a bit more interesting. I should probably specify that it won't take you out of range of whatever triggered the reaction (e.g. if it was a reaction to getting hit, you still get hit even if you move out of range of the attack). Maybe I should remove the DEX bonus, turning it from a half feat to a full feat.

If I keep the bonus to DEX saves, I might only have it persist until you use a reaction, so it's either on or off, rather than trying to track how many reactions you've used. Or just make it a flat +1 or +2 that's always on.

Here's a revamped version:

Lightning Reflexes ONE
    • You gain a +1 bonus to Dexterity saving throws.
    • You may take one additional reaction each round.
    • Immediately before or after using a reaction, you may move up to 5 feet. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

My other thought was to allow you to use a reaction to boost your DEX saves (instead of having an always-on DEX save bonus), like the War wizard's Arcane Deflection, but only for DEX saves. Here's what that might look like:

Lightning Reflexes TWO
    • You may take one additional reaction each round.
    • Immediately before or after using a reaction, you may move up to 5 feet. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
    • When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you may use your reaction to gain a +4 bonus to that saving throw.

(+4 is what Arcane Deflection gives, and it also only applies to just that one save, not to all saves. Ergo, it has to be strong enough to make it worth using.)
    I say go with ONE into playesting, technically it does increase your dex save, and it's just very clean overall. I don't even think you need the "disengage" part, but you should keep it while playtesting.
    If during playtesting the feat proves underwhelming, some other feature can be added to the feat.
    Last edited by Bjarkmundur; 2019-05-15 at 04:04 AM.

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.