1. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Line of consciousness and how to cross it

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Proves nothing. Any computer scientist will tell you that any non-trivial system is always displaying various kinds of unexpected behaviour, which seems at first glance to be contrary to their programming, but in fact is just caused by the unexpected complexity of it.

Repeat after me: brains are not magic. There is nothing a human mind can do that a computer can't. And I'm not talking about some theoretical futuristic computer here, I'm talking about current generation technology. It's just a matter of scale, and patience.

Ask yourself, is the Internet conscious? How could you tell if it was?
    Computers glitch because of an error made in there programming, that's not what I'm talking about. And who says our brains aren't magical. You might say "because we studied it thoroughly." That's what they said hundreds of years ago too, up until we got more precise tools and were able to look deeper, now we think we know it all. In a couple hundred they'll look again and say "What the frick is this?!" With there new invention that does things we can't understand yet. Will it be magic, the soul, or something else? Don't know, not there yet. As for the internet, maybe, how would I know, I wouldn't, that's why I asked.
    Last edited by Matuka; 2019-07-05 at 02:20 AM.