Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
Thanks for the link to A Soft Murmur! I've been looking for something like this for quite a while!

Regarding critical failures, I like them and use them in my games. However, I roll to confirm, with only 1-5 on the second roll of a d20 being an actual failure. That way, the risk and tension is there but the game doesn't degenerate into complete slapstick.

1: Hit self
2: Hit different target
3: Drop weapon
4: Break weapon (magic weapons can't break, treat this as drop weapon)
5: Fall down
6-7: Break weapon (only for silvered/cold iron)

Regarding contracts, they should only be developed by the players UNLESS it's an important part of the plot (i.e. they're all guild members). Feel free to provide input though!
I've got the Critical Fumble and Critical Hit decks designed for Pathfinder and (with minor adjustments to be more 5e friendly, mostly for DCs) they're great. The fumble deck had a confirmation option that I use where you confirm by making a second attack roll, and if that roll misses it's a fumble. Works well because a well-trained fighter is going to be a lot better at not accidentally breaking his weapon fighting a goblin than a wizard is, and I can work in the more dangerous/skilled monsters into what happened. (You miss the orc warlord with an overhead swing and hit the ground, leaving a wide opening. He quickly retaliates with a brutal strike to your sword, shattering it)