Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm fairly confident Bow is FtM personally, but regardless of what he is he's cool and great. I don't think he's necessarily gay since, you know, the kid of two gay parents shouldn't in any real way be concerned about that sort of thing, and the "I'm actually a fighter (obstensibly masculine thing, stereotypically) instead of an archeologist (not really gendered, but you can read into it)" carries a very trans-coded nature for me, more than just an alternative sexuality.
I think being an archeologist is stereotypically about as male as being a fighter, despite the fact I personally had a female archeologist professor. I think my teacher mentioned being in the minority, also every book I have on the subject is written by a man. Moreover, talk about him being a "scholar" rather than specifically an archeologist. Of course, and historically, scholarship was more male-dominated than fighting.

The problem is gender-coding for professions doesn't work in Etheria, because being a warrior explicitly means engaging an activity dominated by "princesses." This was the specific reason one of the parents really hated warriors, as it would mean working very closely with princesses. Princesses are warriors but are, of course, female and very feminine. My feel is that Bow is being feminized, rather than masculinized, by the choosing to be a warrior for the Alliance in this world.

I think coming out about this profession can be read as a code for any LGBTQ-thing as mentioned before. I don't see anything about gender or sexuality, but good try by looking at the professions Bow is stuck between.

Anyway, I'm going to go rewatch the D&D episode now. Poor tiny Bow.