Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Spoiler
Show
From looking at the site (which appears to be tales of someone's play session with the module?) and from what you've said, that looks to me to be a reverse-engineered list. We know Raistlin cast those spells after this point in the story, ergo those spells were in the book. I find myself doubting that those are all that is contained within in the context of the story, because that's pretty chump change for a Black Dragon to be interested in.

On Raistlin's research, I'm not doubting that he could have done any number of types of research to find out that the book was stored there pre-Cataclysm. The problem is, well, the Cataclysm. I'm not that familiar with D&D to begin with (and far less so with 1e), but it seems to me that finding the current location of a particular book would (or should) be difficult, and if it was easy then surely some other Wizard interested in gaining power would have scryed for the thing before now.

I just find it weird that it's an interesting enough artifact to be coveted by a Black Dragon but not interesting enough for anyone else to have read about it and sent a party to the city. Or even just used as fire kindling by the survivors of Xak Tsaroth in the aftermath of their city getting swallowed up. Or by the gully dwarves, who've been living there for however long before the draconians showed up.
A wizard's spellbook would have been enchanted against casual destruction, especially a combat spellbook. Its not inconceivable that it survived the destruction of the city. The only other people who would be interested in it are the wizards, and they may not have known it was there, or not cared much since it was a low level spellbook with fairly common spells.