Show
  • Freak: +0
  • Danger: +0
  • Savior: +1
  • Superior: +2
  • Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
Show
  • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
  • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
  • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.

“Sh*t...!” A rush of guilty panic floods his system as he feels himself losing his grip on one of the unconscious bodies, slickened by the still tacky blood coating his fingers. Before the goons can endure a rude wakening slamming face first into the ground however, sheets of pure light slide in to catch them and save Max from his mess.

"Need a hand, boy?" The words cause him to immediately bristle, however. Wide eyes flicker up to take in the majesty of Lightbringer; undeniably awe inspiring and prime material for an action figure, her authoritative presence instead fills Tsunami with a sense of cool dread. He feels no gratitude nor relief; as far as Tsunami is concerned, the situation just got much worse.

He doesn’t step up to answer immediately, because there are a million things at once running through his head. It wouldn’t have been a very long pause, but Ronin speaks up first all the same. That anger burns deeper; she shouldn’t have to answer. It should have been him. No, it should have been Hikari. But he shouldn’t have faltered in her absence. Not just that- he needed to be the one to speak first, and cut off anyone from revealing more than he wanted known. He desperately wants to keep the truth of the matter from everyone outside of the team. Until they can determine what the disc and ‘The Wave’ are, he has no idea who they can trust.

As Ronin explains what happened, that dread creeps deeper into his core, and he tries to focus simply on not looking like he’s losing his mind as much as he feels like he is. He definitely doesn’t notice as Moonshadow creeps around behind or pops up next to him, his eyes only darting towards her as she speaks. He is simultaneously embarrassed and grateful for her concern.

“Uh... I’m...” He tries to answer, but comes up short. It’s a small thing, but one that possibly adds to the worry. Not that Max is ever entirely eloquent, but he is rarely reduced to filler sounds and stammering; the young man tends to stay quiet for up to even uncomfortable lengths of time to make sure his words are put together, if needed, rather than speak hastily and risk tripping. The blank stutter of a sound does seem to line up with the emptiness of his stare. He shakes head very subtly to Moonshadow, instead. He’s not entirely alright. And it’s not something he wants to hash out here and now, with Lightbringer bearing down on them. That, and he’s trying to keep track of what Ronin is saying, in case he needs to do damage control. Which he can’t explain here and now either, why he has to. He doesn’t want to cut in unless he absolutely has to either, because he doesn’t know how to interrupt Ronin without looking suspicious.

Stained fingers curl into fists as Ronin explains that they were too late to get to the fugitive in time, confirming that they did in fact uncover what Coyote was up to, to an unspecified degree at least. It’s stated vaguely enough that it’s perhaps unclear whether Ronin means they were too late to find the girl, or too late to save her, but he’s going to have to get ahead of any line of questioning involving the girl or why he is so bloody. Max’s teeth grind behind the mask; he really didn’t want to have to admit to finding the girl at all, because as far as he knows, anyone or anything could be part of ‘The Wave’, and if Coyote was willing to kill one of her own for the disc, who knows who else might be looking for it and what they might be willing to do to get it. He also definitely doesn’t want Coyote to know they recovered it, either. He now feels obligated to tell something much more close to the truth than he wants to. He’s angry, but he doesn’t blame Ronin, not entirely; she wasn’t there, to see, and hear, and understand the depth of how they obtained the disc. It should be Hikari.

If he doesn’t volunteer now, they’re going to wonder why he was being evasive. It doesn’t occur to Max that being silent is a perfectly acceptable symptom of being in emotional shock.

Dammit...

“We...” He forces himself to speak, before anyone else gets a chance, though his tone and pacing remain a bit halted and stiff from the effort to control his emotion; perhaps it’s for the best, he’s not the best actor, but he’s still affected by very real emotions which he hopes make the lies he’ll have to add just as believable. “When we noticed... a lot of the Knights seemed to be searching for something, I went to follow. I caught a pair of them and they... confirmed it was a person, but implied she didn’t have long left after... whatever Coyote had done to her. I found her, and... that was correct. She was barely conscious, suffering massive blood loss from her wounds,” He turns his hands over, holding them palm up after a hesitant pause, as if to explain his current state and confirm he was the one who found her, though struggles to lift his gaze away from his own hands afterwards. Now to slowly deviate from the full truth. I was too late to save her, she bled out... so fast. She couldn’t even talk.” He hopes that everyone picks up on that last line and infers from it what he wants them to. We learned nothing of their mission.

“I tried to ask-.. I mean, I just tried to help, she was... a mess. She was... she was dressed like one of Coyote’s people, but I don’t know who she was beyond that... She just looked so scared. S-So.. We don’t really know what their aim was, beyond killing her. It seemed like a lot of trouble, for one person. I guess they succeeded, though. Maybe this was all some kind of power struggle. I left when she passed... one of my team called emergency services, so they’ve probably found her by now.” He explains, praying that sounds as natural and believable as it needs to. It's not so much a lie as a grand bending and omission of truths.

There is a pause as Tsunami lowers his hands, fingers curling into loose fists again, his stance overly stiff, as he seems to be struggling with no small amount of guilt, and possibly still shaken from handling a death first hand. Which isn’t untrue.

“I believe the hostages were all diverted to safety, sir, and it looks like the others apprehended Coyote, so I guess you can ask her yourself, what was worth all this trouble,” Max tries to conclude and excuse himself from further speaking, keeping his own eyes averted from Lightbringer and his team alike, frustrated with the entire situation, and his own state.