1. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Yora reviews Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - All of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I mean a suicide attack against a fleeing ship?
    Why?
    Even taking into account everything I know about Dominion troops that is kinda crazy.
    Militarily, trading a Jem'Hadar attack ship for a Galaxy-class starship would appear to make a reasonable degree of sense, in a cold-blooded way - a Galaxy-class starship is a much larger vessel than the Jem'Hadar attack ship and therefore likely represents a much more significant investment of resources to produce and crew, and the Galaxy-class starships appear to be among the Federation's largest and most powerful, suggesting that it should be relatively uncommon,* whereas Jem'Hadar attack ships are relatively abundant, seemingly being one of the Dominion's most common types of vessels.

Spoiler: * (Spoiled because contains information pertaining to Sacrifice of Angels)
    Show
    If you believe the TNG Technical Manual, the initial production run totaled twelve ships, of which six were commissioned into service and six were laid up in an incomplete state against future requirements. That said, Memory Alpha claims that there are at least ten Galaxy-class starships involved in the battle in Sacrifice of Angels, and at least three Galaxy-class ships should have been destroyed by that point (Yamato, TNG: Contagion; Odyssey, DS9: The Jem'Hadar; Enterprise-D, Generations), so if Memory Alpha's figure of ten Galaxy-class ships present for that battle is correct then either at least one more Galaxy-class starship must have been built or the TNG Technical Manual is wrong. Mind you, I am not sure how Memory Alpha arrived at the figure of ten Galaxy-class starships - watching a montage of the battle, I did not see any more than five Galaxy-class starships simultaneously visible, nor did I notice any visual cues which would lead me to assert the uniqueness of ships shown in separate shots, though as the montage I watched did not include dialogue it is possible that there is something there which would allow that.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-07-06 at 11:07 PM.