Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
That's what you expect, but the Aztecs went heavily into ichcahuipilli, which was a quilted cotton armour and could be regarded as the equivalent of a gambeson in terms of protective quality.

If anything, they would be less likely to wear bronze armour due to the outermost non-breathing metal layer preventing heat loss to the environment (some conquistadors were reported as preferring to use the Aztec's armour rather than their own cuirass as the loss in protection was well worth the additional comfort).

Spoiler: Aztec armour in the Codex Mendoza, 16th Century
Show

I'd also say that it depends heavily on acclimatization - if you're used to living in a jungle environment, then wearing protective clothing wouldn't be as restrictive.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking of. I remember seeing those illustrations (or similar ones) and since these guys are (in naming[1] and vague architecture[2] only) modeled on a mishmash of the Central American (plus a little Inca) civilizations, I figured it fit.

[1] The civilization is named Tlalocana, a play on the Aztec god of water, Tlaaloc. They're the People of the Water, originally the Water Serpent People, now because they (unknowingly) serve an Aboleth, via some mind-flayers, which for me are water-associated.
[2] step pyramids and jungles, mainly