View Single Post

Thread: What dying SHOULD feel like

1. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: What dying SHOULD feel like

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBear View Post
    This is a lot more complicated and punishing to players, but if that’s what you’re going for then more power to you.
    Hm, not quite. I'd love to hear how you experience it as more punishing, when it gives players an extra chance to save themselves after going to 0. Traditionally you take a hit that reduces you to 0, and you start dying. In my case, you take a hit that reduces you to 0, and you don't start feeling it until the next hit, essentially giving players one extra hit of HP.

It's not supposed to be complicated, since the rules can be explained as it happens. Complicated applies to rules that require a break from gameplay or need to be explained before hand. I am maybe to close to this, do you think I can reach my design goal with a more streamlined mechanic?

I like the idea of PCs enduring beyond 0 hp, but I wouldn’t add lingering injuries like your eyeballs being destroyed since that’s essentially a character death at low levels. I’m a merciful god DM, so I prefer to save crippling injuries and deaths for appropriately dramatic narrative moments.
    This is a very good comment. I've had the discussion about the lingering injuries before, and I'll be keeping the lists on my side of the screen. I will have the players roll, and then read the (audited) result to them, essentially ensuring that they injuries don't go into the territory of forcing the player to roll a new character.

I would allow PCs to take half turns, either actions with disadvantage or movement at half speed.
    Are you talking about having the vulnerable state being "When at 0 hit points you cannot take actions", for example, instead of the risk of receiving an injury? I'm curious how a player would experience this mechanic. The goal is that a player can use all the tools at his disposal to save himself, but if he fails there are consequences. Removing some of the players tools might have the opposite effect of what I want. But maybe it works out just right. I'll think on this.