Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
So, I've been working on this question for a while, and have had help from the thread before- but there are aspects I still want to nail down.

I have a character that I'm trying to portray as a tactical genius, far ahead of his time. The thing is, from what the thread has said, a lot of the genius ideas that make or break a war come down to logistics; something that this character already has a leg up on from other factors. If I were to leave it to that, he'd just look like he was more effective merely because of those other factors, not due to any personal skill as a tactitian.

I know part of it also comes down to an understanding of long-term strategy through important capture points, unexpected targets, and so on that are too lengthy and too context-specific to really summarize here.

What I want to know are what kind of small-scale tactics, methods of conducting battles and skirmishes in a classical heroic fantasy landscape that would really differentiate him as the new Sun Tzu?
Tactics simply aren't that important or complex. We'd need to see exactly what kind of troops you're working with to be sure, but pretty much all tactics boil down to trying to attack somebody in the side or rear, sometimes creating a new side or rear to attack. Real genius is in the logistics and support factors, and anybody with knowledge will absolutely credit victories to those - and hail the victor as a genius for building up such a difficult and vital arm.