Ezra

Influenced by (Playful):

Szuper

Spartan

Adults

Potential:
    o o o o o

Advancements:

Powers – Akemi is an extremely talented engineer, wielding a wide variety of weapons and gadgetry of her own design. Ranging from simple HUD's that feed into her glasses and compact audio bugs, all the way up to her imposing Dynast armour, she is often at her happiest when she's tinkering and improving on a design. She shares a love of tinkering with her mentor, the hero 'Widget'. Her mentor has no need of such armour, however, possessing a powerful physique that allows her to more than equal Akemi's mechanical ingenuity.

Mentor - Widget strongly believes that any problem can be solved with sufficient application of technical knowledge and know-how. She is also, however, extremely unapologetic about her approach. Rarely bothering to take the time to explain why she does what she does and instead simply expecting those around her to keep up. (Embodies Superior, denies Mundane).

Spoiler: Widget
    Show

Mentor's Resources - Widget has provided Akemi and her team with state of the art communicators, access to her hyper-computer network, and has insisted on upgrading the existing security at their studio-provided base of operations.

Moves

Been reading the files

You've learned about the superhero world through your mentor's resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll +Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you've learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge, the GM will tell you why.

Fireside chat

When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the label they embody. On a hit, they will tell you what to do. On a 10+ mark potential if you follow their advice, and take a +1 forward on going to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don't have time for you because something big has gone down; Mark a condition, GM's choice.

Be mindful of your surroundings

When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Relationships

You and Spartan teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.

Your mentor is cautious, they asked you to keep an eye on Szuper.

Spoiler: Backstory questions
    Show

"Yup! Let's do this!"

How did you first meet your mentor?

"At school, actually. She just showed up one day, asked to take me out of class so she could speak with me. Was kinda weird at the time, just really surreal. Thought I was gonna be in trouble. See, I'd been experimenting with EM drives at home, figuring out the best way to power larger constructs. She told me she'd been picking up the readings. Initially thought I'd stolen it, she'd come out to take it off me. Then she realised I was actually working on it. So, she came to offer me an apprenticeship! It was pretty awesome!

When and why did you choose to train with them?

"Well, it all started with her setting me engineering challenges. Making me think outside the box on what I could achieve. I think she had a few other kids doing the same thing? All of us around grade 9 I think? Didn't think much of it at the time, but looking back I think she was looking for just one specific person to work with. After a few months, I guess I fit the bill. She made me an offer. Well, I say an offer. What she actually said was 'Come with me, I'll teach you to reach your potential'. Wasn't really a question. She doesn't really do questions most of the time.

I... Told her I'd have to think about it. I think that annoyed her a bit, actually. Thought I'd blown my chance. But I talked it over with my folks, they urged me to go for it, said they could see I had the smarts to do it. I guess I got lucky that Widget came back and made the offer again. So I packed up my tools, and the rest is history!

Why did they agree to train you?

"I'm smart. I built an EM drive on my own, I know how to improve on most standard tech that gets put in front of me, and I've got a bubbly can-do attitude! That last one's a joke. Well, kinda. Widget's really unapologetic about being a genius. She doesn't try and downplay it, doesn't try and speak dumb to make other people comfortable. I think my confidence in my own smarts reminds her of herself a bit? Don't get me wrong, I can't always keep up with her when she gets talking, but I'm willing to bet I'm more interesting to talk to for her than most other heroes. Did you know a lot of the other pros don't even build their own gear? That's crazy to me!

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

"Well, my parents for one. They're the ones that pushed me out the door, after all. I... Think they might be less comfortable with it nowadays, what with me taking up the Dynast identity and all. I think they assumed it'd just be like taking an engineering degree, not something that'd involve actual heroing. Still, they try and stay supportive through it all.

The showrunners know as well. They've not publicly broadcast it, Widget's not exactly the most marketable hero after all, but yeah. They know that I've been training with her. I've heard a few of the crew talking about how cool it is that Widget designed my armour so that I could take part, saying how lucky I am that she took the time to make me something like that. It didn't bother me that much at first, I just corrected them and got on with it, but it's grating now. The armour is my design. I got Widget's advice on a few of the earlier models, but I've been improving it on my own since then. Kinda galling to have that credit get assigned to someone else instead.

Why do you care about the team?

"They’re fun to hang with! Life can't be all work, you'll burn out eventually! I didn't get to hang out with other kids much while I was directly studying under Widget. Which, to be clear, I don't mind that much. I learned a lot by taking that route. But at the same time, it's just nice to have people my age to hang with again.

Spoiler: Confessionals
    Show
    All Confessionals are taken on the last episode before the final elimination.

"Oh! Good timing! I don't need all those extra parts, but-... Sorry..? Oh... Oh! You're, hah. Sorry, thought you were here to ask if I needed a hand! Sure, I can answer some questions. Just... Just hold this a moment, will you?"

The camera cuts in, focused on Dynast. She's not paying the camera any real attention, far more focused on the leg joint that she's currently wrist deep in, sleeves rolled up past her elbows to keep them clean.

Ezra, The Delinquent

"Come on... Just need to..." Her face pulls together as her movements get a little more forceful. "Almost... Yeah, yeah, I heard. Ezra's... Scrappy, I guess is the word. Gets into fights, what, twice, three times a week? Don't think I've ever seen him without a bruise. Buuutttt..." She strains, pulling now, and one hand abruptly yanks out holding a finger sized shard of granite. "Hah! There we go!" She turns, grabbing a pair of pliers from her workbench before diving back in. "But he's got a drive to improve himself. That's important! He could do with a better outlet, I think." She pauses in her work, leaning back a little with a far-off look on her face, "Maybe I could persuade Widget to build him a training bot... Don't think I'd have the time to do it myself..."

Astral Black, the Nova

Akemi is leaning back into her work, her glasses glowing blue as she does. A closer look shows that they're displaying the internal wiring of her suit's leg. Some of the wires look to have been cut, though they're moving in real time as she fiddles with her pliers. She hums contentedly to herself for a few moments before speaking again. When she does, her words come slowly, her focus clearly on her task and not the interview. "I... Would... Love to know..." She lets out a sigh, pulling her pliers out for a moment and reaching for a nearby rag. Wiping it across her brow, and ignoring how it leaves a few oil streaks on her forehead, she looks directly at the camera "Where his power comes from. Think about it. The potential uses are basically limitless!" She starts to gesture emphatically with one hand, "A highly mutable solid, one that could provide instantaneous teleportation at that? It can even output energy and mess with a fundamental force?" There's a big grin on Akemi's face as she shakes her head, "We could advance our technology by centuries if not millenia with something like that."

She gives a rueful shrug, turning back to her wire-work, "From what he's said, though... Either he doesn't want anyone else to know where he pulls power from, or he doesn't know how he does it himself. Either way, the answer for me is basically the same. All we'll have access to is his haphazard applications. He needs a confidence boost in my opinion." She pauses again, a look of consideration on her face, "... Maybe that's why he hangs out with Ezra all the time..?"

Spartan, the Soldier

Akemi's facing away from the camera at this point. Her hat's off and she's pulling on a welding mask. "Hey, pass me that torch? No, the one next to it. Perfect. Thanks."

With a small, pen-like device in hand, she leans back into her work. A bright blue flame reflects off her protective visor. Unfortunately for the camera crew, her voice is also a bit muffled. "Not convinced he knows much beyond basic maintenance. He can use that armour of his in combat well enough, but 'Spartan' might as well be a group of people rather than just one. And y'know what..?" She reaches up to flip her visor up, looking at the camera again with a bit of a sardonic look, her tone possibly even sounding a little hurt, "One of those is Widget. Power armour is tricky. As. Anything. Powering something you wear without having a fried human isn't something just anyone can do." She flicks her visor back down, turning back to her welding, "And he didn't. So yeah, he knows how to fight in it, but I bet if it got broken..." She opts not to finish the sentence, simply leaving the implication in the air as she continues to repair her own armour.

Šuperconductor, the Bull

"Ok, I'll take that back now. Yup, yup... Just be careful..." From off-camera, a man walks forward hoisting a dinner plate-sized piece of curved metal. There's a puncture ripping through part of it, leaving jagged metal on the inside. Akemi takes it off him and lays it on her workbench, picking up her torch and a heavy, pure white glove as she does. Igniting the torch, she starts to tease the broken metal back into position with her gloved hand.

"Szuper, huh..." Akemi is quiet for a prolonged period, the sound of her torch and the gradual movement of the metal back to its rightful position the only signs she wasn't simply a still image. "Yeah, yeah... I'm just... Thinking..." She blinks, then lets out a short laugh, "Heh, thinking. I guess that cuts to the heart of it, right..?"

Akemi sets her torch and glove down, turning her full attention to the camera as she folds her arms on the table ahead of her, "I'm not a fan of having my mind read. I doubt you'll find anyone who is. It's kinda the final invasion of privacy, right? But there's a couple of things to remember here. First, she didn't choose what happened to her. And she's making the best of it anyway, and she's doing it pretty well from what I can see. That's admirable. Second, she does actually try and stay out of other peoples heads. And that to me says integrity. Tells me that you can trust her to make the right choices where it counts. So yeah, I'd say she's pretty chill."

Spoiler: Canada's Next Teen Hero! Segments
    Show
    Watch tonight on CIAN-TV as the contests of Canada’s Next Teen Hero continue!- That’s what the spot on television broadcast as they show Akemi sitting in her workshop, busy with a complex looking engine. Behind her, her Dynast armour towers over her, a panel on the chest popped open. The footage gradually speeds up, becoming a time lapse of Akemi repairing the drive. Her movements become steadily more jerky as the time lapse speeds up and she moves her ministrations between different sections, pausing every now and again to take a drink or grab a snack. Across the bottom of the screen, the word 'Dynast' steadily constructs itself, completing itself just as Akemi loads the engine back into the mech's chest and tries powering it on. The horn and eyes of the armour light up, the VFX team rendering an almost, but not quite, colour matched glow to the name at the bottom of the screen.

The screen fades to a different scene. Repeat viewers will recognise this as being just the second time Dynast took the stage, and the first that she stood solo. At the producer's request, her armour is already on the stage, dwarfing her as she walks up beside it. Opposite her is a surprisingly slender looking woman, outfitted in a simplistic martial arts uniform. A presenters voice rings out across the stage as Akemi mounts up in her mech.

"We are in for a treat tonight! Our fourth round of the one on one's sees the imposing Dynast facing off against the formidable Dolomita!" The crowd roars in anticipation, "The rules are simple, the first to immobilise their opponent is declared the victor. Immobilisation is classed as an inability to move before a ten count is called!"

From across the stage, Dolomita takes up a combat stance. An arrogant grin on her face, she calls out "No hard feelings! You've got a nice toy, but this is where you bow out!"

If Dynast hears, she shows no response. Her mech simply shifting its weight forward, resting mostly on the forelimbs like some over-sized gorilla. A countdown rings out across the arena. As it does, Dynast's stats are super-imposed on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynast, Mechanical Prodigy
    Name - Akemi Yun, A.K.A. 'Dynast'
    Height - 5' 8" (172 cm)
    Weight - 141 lb (68 kg)
    Eye Colour - Brown
    Hair Colour - Black
    Mech Height - 12' 4" (380 cm)
    Mech Weight ~ 4200 lb (~1,900 kg)

Powers and Skills - Engineering genius, 'Dynast Mk 23 Armour'
    Likes - Chillstep, Tinkering, Challenges
    Dislikes - Heavy Metal, Entitlement, Coffee
    The countdown hits one, and the stage is a blur of movement. Dynast's wings chirr as the towering mech launches forward, taking great bounding leaps to try and close the gap, the movements almost reminiscent of a gorilla's charge. Opposite her, Dolomita takes a quick combat stance before whirring her arms back and forth in rapid succession. With each maneuver, red hot spikes of rock emerge from the stage to try and halt Dynast's progress. The first couple are barreled through as though they were made of styrofoam. But then one catches Dynast's leg at just the right angle, and the mech goes skidding to the ground. A close up shows a still-glowing chunk of rock has punched through the rear leg armour at a joint, the movements of the mech no longer travelling down the length of the leg.

Dolomita is quick to press her advantage, dozens of spikes bursting out to further pin Dynast to the ground. In spite of her struggles, Dynast finds her mech pinned in place, each pillar swatted away replaced by two more, until all four limbs are trapped in place and the mech itself is obscured by a cloud of smoke. The camera's focus in on Dolomita, her confident smirk nearly filling the screen as she saunters toward the stricken mech. Her confidence is infectious, and the crowd cheers out their adulation. And then, suddenly, she gasps and clutches at her neck. The close up shows a small metal disc has latched on, and then she lets out a strangled yell, the disc emitting a painful looking electrical shock. With her guard down, two more of the discs land on her, one impacting her chest, the other catching her leg.

The camera pans out, showing Dynast with a wrist-mounted launcher leveled at her opponent. Her expression is neutral as she calls out "Yield. You're beaten, save yourself some pain." Behind her, the screens replay the last few seconds of the fight. As her mech has its second limb trapped, Dynast takes advantage of the growing dust cloud to eject unnoticed from the back of her armour. The armour continues to struggle on an automated movement cycle whilst Dynast herself skirts around the chaos, closing the distance and waiting for an opportunity.

Forcing herself to her feet through the electrical impulses, Dolomita manages to growl out "I'm... Not... Losing..."

The show of resistance merely draws a roll of the eyes from Dynast and she clenches her fist, the other two discs embedded on Dolomita activating and sending her opponent to the ground and leaving her out for the count.

"And the winner is Dynast by knockout!"

The crowd breaks into cheers again as Akemi moves back to her armour to assess the damage.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-07-29 at 01:10 PM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me