1. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bleakbane... Farms...? [Wet Stellar Bodies in a Depressed Geological Feature]

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Go away math.
    Hoesntly, I didn't find half-past midnight or whatever was not the best time to spring that up, myself...! But one feels after one's engineering degree one should be damned for not doing it.

(And doubly embarrased for fracking up the easier, second question, which I can only put down to both the late hour and the unpleasant heat (heat is something I definitely still feel - after all, heat and fire is one of the things that bypasses my rejuvenation...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki
    Last day of winter?
    Then I shall wish Illyphase a great- no, a amazing new year.
    And lots of time to improve her fishing.
    The fishing is improving. The first trick is, unless you are a QTE-sort-master, you NEED to fish in that area with the ludicously easy fish (mostly I'd been fishing the other end of the piers...) And secondly, the arse-backwards difficulty curve that means it gets easier, as increased proficiency means the fish move less and the bar gets slightly bigger, decreases the wait time (so you can get more practise in...) AND increases the odds of starred fish (which are, of course, worth more XP).

So this will be the last one for a little bit, since I am out for a week or so, so you can breathe a little!

(Incidently, reason I'm waiting to reply to people until the main post drops is solely to avoid dropping a double-post, in case that wasn't obvious! And I do appreciate the comments, since then I know people are listening, because I have been known to do this sort of thing and be fairly sure that I was shouting into the wind by the end of it! I once started a write-up of a my Rise of the Runelords campaign and had a couple of people post to start with, and I so I did it religiously for a year, after evey session and I never did know if anyone was still reading it by the end...!))

Part 12: This is a lot of work...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sunday, Winter Day 28, Year One

Wow, Mercury just laid an iridium-quality egg!

Illy considers what she should do with it, and decides maybe she'll keep it for the fair display (she'll sell any others.)

She goes to Robin and Maru, to give them flowers (because). (Robin likes her more than Maru does...!) Illy has a nosey around Maru's room while she's at it...

Yes gods, Maru, Illy cannot believe she's using that old by the standards of the computer age, let alone the pre-FTL age! How does she manage to even save her files?

(Seriously, this seems ludicrous, even in context. The text file I'm using for this play-through is 600k already and a great deal of my word files are well over one 1.44meg. I cannot see how Maru could be storing anything of any kind of complexity usefully. Heck, my spreadsheets for my starships you'd get no more than about three to a floppy. Meaning either Illy is making assumptions from Maru's PC just having a floppy drive, Maru is intro retro-gaming or...)

Maru has a basement, neat!

Huh? What? Does that even... Illy is deeply confused. (One of the side-benefits of being a devil is that Illy doesn't get cycles anymore (and hasn't for most o two centuries), so it takes her a long moment to even wonder if this is something male humans have to go through as well...? If not, the heck is this book on about?)

She heads to Willy's to get some more trout soup, and then heads home to go out to see Rassy.

That is so cool!

Essence delivered, Illy makes it back to the beach for the last failed attempt at either squid or albacore. No-one can say she hasn't tried...

When she gets home, Illy elects to sell all of her gold and silver fish (she's actually got a fair stack now, at least), as the infusion of cash will help her buy more seeds tomorrow.

She also has discovered that large eggs give gold-star mayonaisse, so that is something else to consider!

Illy watches a bit of telly before bed, and the Queen of Sauce teaches her to to make cranberry candy!

Time for bed (Illy doesn't see much point in seeing the new year in all on her own...)

Happy New Year, Illy!

Monday, Spring Day 1, Year Two

Oh, well, hello, there Kent!

(Jodi's husband, maybe?)

Speaking of...

Well, Illy would love t-

... Well, that is going to be a problem.

Great. Well, Time For Illy Can't Fish again!

Yeah, how the frack is Illy going to manage that, and on the first day of Spring too.

She will see what she can do, Jodi...

Robin has left Illy with anice recipe for pumpkin soup. Lovely. Abby might well like that...

Uh, okay? Not that Illy bought any materials from them anyway?

DANG, Illy's grass grew fast!

Jodi looks like she is going to be WELL out of luck, since it takes Illy the ENITRE day to get her seeds planted, and as she heads out and nearly ten of clock to try and catch some damn fish, Linus interrupts her.

(No thanks to the game's own wording, it turns out that, like Emily's fashion event, it is timed only in the sense of you having to turn up at the location on any given day at the right hour, not that the specific day matters. This is as well, since I would have been very annoyed if that wasn't the case.

Linus, Illy doesn't really have time for this right- You know what, nevermind, Linus, carry on.

Illy IS kind of busy, especially on the first day of spring, she will come and visit Linus with leeks soon, don't worry.

Aw, that's nice! Illy thinks Linus is a good friend too.

Linus wants to show Illy simething inside his tent.

Shoulder!Alluria, shut up. Just for that, you can wait outside.

There are a lot of squishy, splatty noises coming from inside the tent. Shouklder1Alluria waggles her eybrows.

Shoulder!Alluria is very disappointed.

Neat!

Wild bait takes a lot more resources than regular bait, but never mind that now, Illy needs a largemough bass STAT.

Illy catches a couple of carp -

(Apparently, large mouth bass don't even appear except in the afternoon and early morning...)

- and then heads back to bed, but with all the faffing about, she's late.

Grand start to the year, then...

Well, large iridium egg is only worth as much as regular mayonaisse. Hrm. Maybe Illy should have been just making mayo this whole time...

Spring Day 2, Year Two

First, sort all of the farm-work. Illy thinks that in future, she should shut the coop and only let the animals out fter she's petted them and collected the eggs, since she can't even find the ducks in the grass.

(Still, she's now getting milk from the two cows, starting from yesterday, but she was in such a hurry, she didn't take much time to note it.)

Illy sprints to Will to get some trout soup, hoping to make it to the mine lake early and get some more work done later.

But, of course, her headlong rush is halted. Penny is looking rather... Pensive.

Penny might as well tell Illy what is wrong, she'll only wheedle it out of her...

Oh, Illy has a feeling she won't like where this is going...

Oh dear...

Illy is always ready to listen. Even when she is in the middle of rushing around.

Bad past tense, bad past tense...

Oh heavens, this is going to be worse than Illy expected, isn't it?

Azurella's mercy.

This town SERIOUSLY needs a law-enforcement officer!

Illy silently prays to Azurella that the boy had discovered secret magic powers and started fighting evil or something secretly, but she somehow knows it is in vain.

Illy makes a mental note to find this guy, if he hasn't been caught already...

Illy would have done far more than scream.

Illy's way would not have done.

Good on Mayor Linkara! (She is somewhat impressed he didn't just use his magic gun or starship on the guy, actually - Illy would have done...)

He'd be a lot worse if Penny hadn't acted immediately like that. Peeny did a damn good job.

Without question.

Anytime.

No, this was more important, Penny.

This is what Illy does.

Penny too.

(Surprise feels attack, everyone!)

Illy heads to fish...

She does well, actually, catching bullheads, carp, chubs (ooh, she needsa couple of those fo the community cente - and a largemouth bass!

She figures she will fish until about four and then try and reach the store to buy more seeds if she can...

(Harvey wants a purple mushroom - easy to get!)

She can, though Jodi will have to wait for another day.

Illy gets the rest of her crops, hoes, plants and waters, which takes so long, she is only in bed at twenty to two.

This is paying off, slowly. The trick clearly is to fish in the right places...

Finally, though, the recycling machine! All that trash she has can no be made into something useful!

Spring Day 3, Year Two

There is quite a bit of chores to do. Illy starts one recycling machine and gets it going. She is now out of iron bars, so a mine or quarry trip is required soon.

Of course, rain is now rather irrelevant to her work-time, since everything is on sprinkler...!

Illy thinks she rather needs to go visit people, though, today. First, Robin and Maru and Linus, and then find Harvey... Who is in the store, which is closed on Wednesday.

Fantastic.

Communtiy centre, then...

Illy will need another largemouth bass for here...

But she can complete the fieldl research bundle, which gives her another recycler. (Illy finds this damn typical...)

Naturally, Illy is several seconds too late to get into the clinic to give Harvey his damned purple mushroom.

Olivia house's is MASSIVE on the inside.

Also, she dislikes daffodils.

It is not Illy's day.

Illy does at least catch Harvey by the bar. And it's not far off seven, so at least Illy can do to Jodi's dinner today...

She pauses outside Jodi's to have one try at fishing - and actually catches a shad. (Ridiculous inverse difficulty curve...)

Time for dinner...

Yes, it took Illy a day or two get organised, but here she is at last!

Good boy.

Illy probably shouldn't have dumped it on the floor like that, really...

Fair enough.

Well, he is a growing lad, isn't he? (By comparison to illy, anyway...)

This Illy thinks is a little odd, since there is no-one in this family Illy is trying to get in the pants of- she means has a romantic interest in.

Well, says Shoulder!Alluria, it might depend upon what Jodi was into...

(Shoulder!Alluria, it may be noted in passing, is a bit naughty.)

Illy spends the rtest of the day scything through to try and clear a path to the mushroom cave. She is a bit later to bed, but does pick up a recipe for tortillas from the telly.

Okay, it is apparent that egg quality does't really matter, since mayonnaise is worth more by quite a lot. (Gold mayonnaise (which is made by using a large egg) is +50% of an iridium large egg.)

Spring Day 4, Year Two

Chores take a lot of time, even without the watering!

Illy really needs some iron, so today she will go to the quarry and then the mines.

A random bat has secret note #13...

And shortly after, #7 secret note appears!

That is possibly useful information, but Illy sort of agrees on the sentiment..

The mine is not kind to illy today, and she finds little iron.

she does find another secret note on the way though.

She knocks it off at about nine, which gives her plenty of time to get back and fiddle around. Eventually, she will hope to cut the recycling down to managble levels, and re-locate it completely to over by the crab pots, with its own chest, but that will wait for another day!

Spring Day 5, Year Two

A new duckling has hatched! This one will be Vivienne!

Illy's parsnips and garlic (the new crop for this season), have sprouted. She goes to the store and buys more seeds - she doesn't get quite enough (she only bought four of each, not eight!), so she fills the rest of the space with wild seeds.

She elects that, aside from a quick to to Rassy, she will spend most of today crafting, getting through the backlog of eggs into mayonnaise and the recycling.

Caravan lady has a "rare seed," which Illy is to sow in fall and takes all season to grow. For a 1000g, Illy will have a go.

She heads back and spend the time sorting stuff out, including planting some more trees (since apparently she just managed to cut down the ones she previously planted along with the grass...)

Time for bed!

Spring Day 6, Year Two

Emily wants an apricot. Well, that might take a while...

Or, if Illy actually noticed the fruit on her trees, right now! Her apricots and cherries have just grown!

So today will be an around town day!

The fruit allows Illy to complete the Artisan bundle...

For which she gets a keg! Excellent! She can use that with the hops now!

First, though, Sam wants a potato (Illy saved just one from last year, hoorah!) and then she stops by Clints to open some geodes and finds pyriate and an ancient drum - which gives her a drum stone for her farm when donated to the museum.

Back to the farm from more artificing and tree-cutting down!

Duck mayonnaise is worth a lot!

Spring Day 7, Year Two

Today, Illy is going to try and catch Robin and move the silo. She could use the space in her crafting area, and, as she has found, the silo doesn't actually require her to do anything to, so it can be put somewhere well out of the way. (She probably ought to make a second as well, at some point, she thinks...)

But first, Illy watches the telly (she keeps forgetting to do that!) and learns how to cook pizza. Neat!

Now, Illy could pick her tulips, but she wants them to help the bees, so she will leave them in for the moment!

Hi, Robin! Illy would like to move her silo now!

She did that instantly!

ROBIN IS TOTALLY A TIME LORD!!!

Illy heads down to the mushoom cave, clearing as she goes, and the heads to bed

OH DARN IT, it was Mayor Linkara's birthday today! Too much going on!

(And too damn hot weather...)

Spring Day 8, Year Two

Chores are taking a lot of time now! Illy harvests potatoes, gets the milk and eggs, makes mayonnaise, stocks the recyclers, empties the crab pots, harvests the kale - she needs more seeds...!

Leah wants an aquamarine.. Illy THINKS she has some of those?

Rats, Illy needs even more seeds, she didn't notice her lower field had sprouted as well!

To the bar! Illy has a pale ale (at long last, it's taken her more or less a year..!) to deliver to Pam and an aquamarine to Leah.

Illy stops by the community centre two - the cows have finally produced large milk, so she only needs wool or gaot's milk to finish the animal bundle and complete another room!

At least Illy's hard work is paying off!

Not only that, but the kale and potatoes make a lot of money!

Spring Day 9, Year Two

Right then! Today's job will be to go to Robin and get that coop upgraded again!

Speaking of Robin, she leaves Illy fifty wood. That's nice.

As usual, though Illy's timing is such that Robin isn't there today... Flower for Maru, then... Oh darn it, she's not home either. Fine, Demetrius, you have one, to stop the trip from being wasted!

Ah. This is Caroline's much vaunted aerobic class. Okay, flowers for everyone! (And mayo for Mayor Linkara, because he seems to at least like it...)

Jodi and Olivia don't like their daffodil and danelion respectively.. Illy needs to start using other things. Well, Illy DOES have a lot of jam...!

Hi, Maru!

You probably ought not to have dropped that glass vail of samples, Maru...

Oops?

Ah, Maru, don't worry, Illy will take the fall for this one. Fall, do you get! Ahahahaokay. Illy will hush now.

Sounds about right. Illy is many things, but quiet has never really been one of them at any point, honestly.

Uh, it is easily done, Harvey.

Uh... HOW? Leaving aside this is the United Concorde of Divine Realms, Harvey, and that medical money should never be an issue given the UCDR's comprehensive public health system (I mean, leaving aside the nonmagic health workers, the UCDR has more divine casters or divine-blooded-with-magic her head than any other major power) - are you just that bad at your job?

Illy goes home, goes back and buys more seed and keeps culling through her excess goods.

Illy discoveres that the bees have made tulip honey - nice - and then goes and adds a couple more recyclers to her crab pot area.

(She'll move the last one soon, they backlog is nearly gone.) She adds a chest for good measure... Actually, it might not be a bad idea for Illy to empty the stuff out of the fridge from the pots into that as well, then she can just dump it all in one place.

There! Four recyclers all in a neat row, next to a chest. Illy can now hopefully easily keep pace with processing her crab pot catches nice and efficiently. She also now has an absolutely surfeit of refined quartz, since that is what all those broken CDs and glasses produced!

She also makes a second mayonnaisse machine - she has a lot of eggs to process!

Illy calls it a night at that.

Tulip honey is worth 60% more than regular honey...

And cheese is defitely more profitable than milk, as once again, gold milk and large milk is worth less than the regular and gold cheese it produces respectively. Good to know!

Spring Day 10, Year Two

Oh yes, it's much easier to dispose of the fishing trash now with four recyclers, Illy can dump it in and only have to empty it once per day! After getting herself sorted, illy goes and orders her new deluxe coop from Robin. This will allow her to have rabbits and also comes with an auto feeder, which will save Illy some work! Illy gives Robin and Maru some gold mayonnaise, since she's kind of swimming in it and has not found so many flowers this year.

Ily heads back home and meaders around the farm. She spends most of the day trying to work out what to do with the torches she got (57 of them...) from all the recycled newspaper. Eventually, they all end up on top of the fence around the animal yard.

There is still some time left, so Illy decides to make a seed maker, and try it out on a pumpkin.

Wow, that was fast! Three seeds! Well, maybe she'll try with a potato next...

Yeah, Illy's crafting area is defintely better without the silo in the way!

And the animals will never be in the dark again! Lucky them...?

Spring Day 11, Year Two

New duckling! That makes four! This one will be Juniper!

Many chores...

After a wander up to give Linus a gold leek and back through town, Illy decides to visit Rassy.

Leah must really want that fruit...

Yes, Illy was right! And it does!

Illy is quite tall, but she probably can't either, at least not without using her wings.

Oh, fine, Illy will be your ladder. Calm down, Leah.

Shoulder!Alluria is enjoying the view, but she thinks it is a shame Leah is not wearing a skirt. Illy would smack her upside the head, but then they would all fall over.

Illy gets that a lot, actually!

Yes, Illy would love to try a piece of Leah's juicy fruit.

Yes, yes you will, Leah!

No problem. Illy likes your art that you're drawing as well.

Rassy's void essense delivered, llly heads home. She decides, purely on a whim, to clear out that bit of forest on the south end of her bridge.

Hello, Illy's never been down this way before...

Woah! Illy has a HOT SPRING in the corner of her farm?!

What's this up here...? Ohhhhh.

Huh. Well, Amy's grave is now neater, since Illy got rid of all the fallen wood.

Better hurry back, though, it's late!

And on that poignant note, we shall leave Illy for a little while!

Soon it is the egg festival, round two - will she be able to beat Abby this time? Will she remember Haley's birthday on the 14th the day after or to look for the location in the secret note (maybe she will if I leave this note here...!)

All these questions and less to be answered next time! (In a little over a week...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-07-26 at 05:50 AM.