So, I haven't gotten around to revising the sorcery system just yet (I've made some notes following a playtest of the Theurge), but my plans for the system as a whole are as follows:

Spoiler: General Sorcery
Show
  • Simplify sorceries to use character level instead of surge dice for scaling. I do have some concerns about multiclassing still, so this might change back or into something else entirely.
  • At-will sorcerous abilities will be dialed back in complexity and damage. Damage will be brought in line with cantrips, but may have slightly better traits similar to Eldritch Blast (more desirable damage types, longer range, partial effect on failure, larger dice, or better riders). Combat buffs will almost always be limited by concentration or have a single-round duration. Single-round duration effects will generally take a bonus action, unless their effect is very strong.
  • At-will exploration abilities which are similar to spells will be given drawbacks (such as shorter range or greater activation time, requiring concentration, or unique drawbacks such as sorcerous scrying sensors/communications not being invisible). Exceptions for spells which are available as rituals; at-will sorceries duplicating such spells do not need additional drawbacks.
  • Surges will remain roughly the same.

The reason I mention this is because I've started to put together an outline for the Cultist, my half-sorcerous class. Some general stuff about the structure for the cultist is below. Hopefully I'll have the first full draft up in the next week or two.

Spoiler: Cultist
Show

• The cultist uses the sorcery system at a half-speed progression, making it the Paladin to the Theurge's Cleric. It gets d10 hit dice, medium armor and shields, and all weapons.
  • The cultist's sorcerous focus is its athame, a magical slashing or piercing melee weapon it can produce as part of a 1st level class feature. This means they can use sorceries without disarming, much as the paladin can emblazon a holy symbol onto a shield.
  • The cultist's 1st level feature (other than the athame) determines what sort of thing they worship. This acts as a secondary subclass, much like the Warlock's Pact compared to their Patron. The initial planned choices are Things from Beyond, Elementals, and Forgotten Gods. Each choice adds a couple sorceries to the cultist list and gives a limited-use ability that refreshes on long rest.
  • Cultist fighting styles are Defense, Dueling, Protection, and TWF.
  • The cultist, like the paladin and ranger, gets a unique expenditure option for their magic (in this case, surges). Theirs lets them conjure giant force-tentacles (or other appropriate manifestations) to attack and control distant targets.
  • The cultist's subclass is their Rite, which determines their role in the cult. I have given names but not clear plans to the Rite of the Voice (one who speaks the word of their idol), Rite of the Guardian (one who protects worshippers and sacred sites of the idol), and Rite of the Watcher (one who watches for signs and prophecies of the idol's arrival).
  • The cultist will have three exclusive sorceries, themed around aberrations, blood, and shadow. They also share a number of sorceries with the Theurge or Wilder.

I wish everyone luck with this contest!