View Single Post

Thread: Pathfinder 2 Release

1. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder 2 Release

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The latter example is probably closer to 5e than the former - there are far fewer feats there (only ~40, fractions of 3.5/P1/P2's loadout), and they're all furthermore competing for build space with ASIs.

Which isn't to say that I'd be unhappy if the feats contained no situational, niche, or weak choices at all. I just think there are better places for the devs to spend their time than perfectly balancing ~120 feats against each other.
    5e feats are actually largely Bigger and Better than 3e feats. PF2 feats seem to have gone, in majority, the other direction.

Now, your second paragraph is right, but I'd prefer more erring on the side of "do something cool" than I am seeing in the PF2 feats. I at least FEEL like I get that from 5e feats, which, as you say, have to compete with ASIs.

Then again, I actually really LIKE Keen Mind, so my subjective analysis may be somewhat skew from yours in terms of judgment criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

A.) It's not just one race, and B.) it's pretty indicative of the flaw with the Ancestry system and how it's laid out when one of Pathfinder's strongest races becomes one of the weakest.

If you want another big example, Half-Orcs also suffer quite a lot, losing two of their best alt. racials, and losing out on most of the things they enjoyed at first level. Getting Darkvision and Orc Ferocity alone back takes 5 levels.
    I was going to say that the strength of the Ancestry structure is that the half-orcs might get back their stronger alt-features in later feat releases, but to learn they can't even have DARKVISION before level 5 is...buh?

Okay, I get it: there's a running gag at this point that darkvision is so common (in 5e, but also in 3e and PF) that humans and halflings are actually DISABLED for lacking it, rather than the other creature types having a special ability by having it. This does make that shift back, since now nobody has it before 5th level, and only a subset of orcs above 5th level will have it. Cool, sure, fine.

But...yeesh.
    Last edited by Segev; 2019-08-05 at 02:51 PM.