View Single Post

Thread: Fate, anyone?

1. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fate, anyone?

I should admit it's not my forte either, but I've been watching Vinland Saga recently so I'm really up for the aesthetic. Throwing ideas out and the product of 15 minutes looking...

I feel like Viking flavored Dark-High Fantasy would resemble something like LOTR style magic but it's something contemporary not the legacy of a past greater age. There'd be trolls, ice giants, sea serpants and other Norse-ish monsters running about a mountainous and cold world, desolate but beautiful. The Viking culture is brutal, but there's also a depth of practical knowledge, law and culture to be respected. I'd see our Clan as ruling some kind of seafront fortress-town halfway between Erebor and Skelige. We have rune-smiths laboring away creating arms, our gates are well warded, and we have longships sitting in the harbor. A troll is attacking our forresters as they gather timber for our fleet and to burn in the hard winter, we're preparing to ward off and retaliate to raids from enemy clans or ice giants in the spring, and a court (Thing) has been called by our neighbors to settle the feud between one of our rivals and allies over the death of our niece's betrothed in an honor duel.

In no particular order...

1. I'd say use the real Norse Gods as is, it's good flavor everyone knows a bit about.
    2. I'd like to make Seafaring a big deal in the game. Let us use it as a knowledge skill for travel and such as well as using a ship, and include travel over difficult waters in the story.
    3. We could use a map of RL Europe for our geography to allow a really nicely detailed map of ports and such.
    4. I'd see Norse 'Elves' as something like Skyrim's Dunmer with LOTR Dwarf 'tech'. They don't get magitech, but they're ingenious 'holes who live underground and are really, really, greedy.
    5. I'd like Runes to have an element of prophecy and of enchanting, probably as separate skills?
    6. I'd want magical Weapons to be a big deal with at least a 'this is a thing this enables' Aspect available from having one and lots available, preferably a Stunt-effect too, but they're more than balanced out by monsters' buffs.
    7. If others are on board I'd want to make our Clan it's own kind of character as worldbuilding. Give it a history in Aspects we divvy out like Founding, Rise to Prominance, Recent History, Ally 1 (Crossing Paths), Ally 2, Enemy 1, Enemy 2, Greatest Honor and Greatest Shame. Maybe even do something like the FAE Pathfinder Archetypes to represent things like Wealth, Reputation, Lore, and Divine Favor we can call on as Clanmembers.
    8. We could just copy the look and magic of the Others from Game of Thrones for an enemy race, either making them the Jottun (Ice Giants) or making them to the Ice Giants what humanity is to the Gods. Ice-zombies and magic snowstorms sound like a good thing to face.

There's a lot of Viking Law to take inspiration from, but a cursory feel of it could be an honored gathering of all the freemen in the town to debate the issue with some elder lawspeakers who keep the oral tradition for honor duels, fines, outlawing and bloodmoney weregeld to compensate for deaths or injuries from feuds.

Spoiler: Relevant Quote from Wikipedia (Optional Extra Detail)
    Show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_...dieval_society

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the Viking Age, things were the public assemblies of the free men of a country, province, or a hundred (Swedish: härad, hundare, Danish: herred). They functioned as both parliaments and courts at different levels of society—local, regional, and supra-regional.[5] Their purpose was to solve disputes and make political decisions, and thing sites were also often the place for public religious rites. According to Norway's Law of the Gulathing, only free men of full age could participate in the assembly.[6] According to written sources, women were clearly present at some things despite being left out of the decision making bodies, such as the Icelandic Althing.[7]

In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia, the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. As a result, feuding is often seen as the most common form of conflict resolution used in Viking society. However, things are in a more general sense balancing structures used to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder in North-Germanic cultures. They played an important role in Viking society as forums for conflict resolution, marriage alliances, power display, honor, and inheritance settlements.[5]

From Sweden and England, it is well known that assemblies were held both at natural and man-made mounds, often burial mounds.[8] Specifically in Scandinavia, unusually large rune-stones and inscriptions suggesting a local family's attempt to claim supremacy are common features of thing sites. It is also common for assembly sites to be located close to communication routes, such as navigable water routes and clear land routes.[9]

The thing met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "lawspeaker" (the judge). The thing's negotiations were presided over by the lawspeaker and the chieftain or the king. More and more scholarly discussions center around the things being forerunners to democratic institutions as we know them today. The Icelandic Althing is considered to be the oldest surviving parliament in the world, the Norwegian Gulathing also dating back to 900-1300 AD.[10] While the things were not democratic assemblies in the modern sense of an elected body, they were built around ideas of neutrality and representation,[10] effectively representing the interests of larger numbers of people. In Norway, the thing was a space where free men and elected officials met and discussed matters of collective interest, such as taxation.[11] Though some scholars say that the things were dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, other scholars describe how every free man could put forward his case for deliberation and share his opinions.[12] History professor Torgrim Titlestad describes how Norway, with the thing sites, displayed an advanced political system over a thousand years ago, one that was characterized by high participation and democratic ideologies.[13] These things also served as courts of law,[14] and if one of the smaller things could not reach agreement, the matter at hand would be brought to one of the bigger things, which encompassed larger areas.[11] The legislature of Norway is still known as the Storting (Big Thing) today.

Towards the end of the Viking age, royal power became centralized and the kings began to consolidate power and control over the assemblies. As a result, things lost most of their political role and began to function largely as courts in the later Middle Ages.[5]
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-08-08 at 07:51 AM.
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.