I should admit it's not my forte either, but I've been watching Vinland Saga recently so I'm really up for the aesthetic. Throwing ideas out and the product of 15 minutes looking...
I feel like Viking flavored Dark-High Fantasy would resemble something like LOTR style magic but it's something contemporary not the legacy of a past greater age. There'd be trolls, ice giants, sea serpants and other Norse-ish monsters running about a mountainous and cold world, desolate but beautiful. The Viking culture is brutal, but there's also a depth of practical knowledge, law and culture to be respected. I'd see our Clan as ruling some kind of seafront fortress-town halfway between Erebor and Skelige. We have rune-smiths laboring away creating arms, our gates are well warded, and we have longships sitting in the harbor. A troll is attacking our forresters as they gather timber for our fleet and to burn in the hard winter, we're preparing to ward off and retaliate to raids from enemy clans or ice giants in the spring, and a court (Thing) has been called by our neighbors to settle the feud between one of our rivals and allies over the death of our niece's betrothed in an honor duel.
In no particular order...
- I'd say use the real Norse Gods as is, it's good flavor everyone knows a bit about.
- I'd like to make Seafaring a big deal in the game. Let us use it as a knowledge skill for travel and such as well as using a ship, and include travel over difficult waters in the story.
- We could use a map of RL Europe for our geography to allow a really nicely detailed map of ports and such.
- I'd see Norse 'Elves' as something like Skyrim's Dunmer with LOTR Dwarf 'tech'. They don't get magitech, but they're ingenious 'holes who live underground and are really, really, greedy.
- I'd like Runes to have an element of prophecy and of enchanting, probably as separate skills?
- I'd want magical Weapons to be a big deal with at least a 'this is a thing this enables' Aspect available from having one and lots available, preferably a Stunt-effect too, but they're more than balanced out by monsters' buffs.
- If others are on board I'd want to make our Clan it's own kind of character as worldbuilding. Give it a history in Aspects we divvy out like Founding, Rise to Prominance, Recent History, Ally 1 (Crossing Paths), Ally 2, Enemy 1, Enemy 2, Greatest Honor and Greatest Shame. Maybe even do something like the FAE Pathfinder Archetypes to represent things like Wealth, Reputation, Lore, and Divine Favor we can call on as Clanmembers.
- We could just copy the look and magic of the Others from Game of Thrones for an enemy race, either making them the Jottun (Ice Giants) or making them to the Ice Giants what humanity is to the Gods. Ice-zombies and magic snowstorms sound like a good thing to face.
There's a lot of Viking Law to take inspiration from, but a cursory feel of it could be an honored gathering of all the freemen in the town to debate the issue with some elder lawspeakers who keep the oral tradition for honor duels, fines, outlawing and bloodmoney weregeld to compensate for deaths or injuries from feuds.
Spoiler: Relevant Quote from Wikipedia (Optional Extra Detail)
Originally Posted by Wikipedia