View Single Post

Thread: Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad poor Dad

1. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad poor Dad

Funnily enough ran into an article which brings up that some aspects are even genetic (as one component in a mixed bag of circumstances). Inherent factors will affect your upbringing, if your inclination is already towards perceived positive traits you'll get mostly positive feedback which will reinforce those. Parents have a lot less influence than they think. Link (article in Swedish, an it may sit behind a paywall)

And just because someone is going to rant about genetics and predisposition. Me and my brother, same parents, two sides of the save and spend coin.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    Who would get fired for talking about compound interest and investing?
    A person who is talking about compound interest and investing in a biology class. Or English Lit. Or any number of subjects not related at all. You are aware that teachers have a general goal set to them, usually a nation- or statewide lessonplan. It's not their job to deviate from that. Especially in a place like the USA who are, as I hear teachers complaining, "teaching to the test".
    Schools don't have a laissez-fair approach to teaching. Generally. Exceptions do exist, but most public schools have a fairly rigid set up guidelines for what each teacher is allowed to teach. E.g. for something that's super controversial in the USA, sex ed classes. Around here "investing" would probably be decried as "filthy capitalism" if someone would randomly start teaching about investing. Not by all, but still, it would be a departure from the agreed upon lesson plan and am convinced a schoolboard somewhere would have to answer why is this in the lessonplan and if not what business (hah!) does the teacher have teaching it. Angry parents are a teacher's worst nightmare. And I live in a place where teachers are still garner respect for their important contribution to society.

If you want teachers teaching about investing it's going to have to be in an appropriate class. Mathematics is close at hand but it would probably be divorced from any meaningful context. Home economics might be another place. Normally though there's no generalist "stuff that might be important for living in this society" class, but a lot of it is split into discrete subjects. And not quite labelled that way. Could also be it's considered something that should be taught at home.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-08-13 at 05:49 AM.