Quote Originally Posted by roryb View Post
Great ideas! I think it would be interesting to define background by clutch (through birth) and clan (chosen/arranged/deigned). The latter is necessary for the survival of the species, adapting to civilizationís social structures for unified strength. Perhaps dragon insanity is a threat where some matrons destroy their eggs out of despair to save versus the threat of men. Therefore the clutch relationship is a rarity, or perhaps even secret (dragonsí sense of territory may cause those of a single line to band together with siblings to seek out and destroy rivals). Just talking out loud.

But each player handling one or more of these questions will be a great way to flesh out the world. Iíll add them to the wiki.
I really like the idea of gathering enmasse in Serpent's Spire being a novel thing for Dragonkind, but I also don't like the other extreme of Dragon's being completely solitary. No history or interaction together is boring. So I'd find something like above with small groups of Clan/Clutch Dragons working loosely together to hold territory a nice compromise, with the Elder Wyrm forging so many different groups into one small territory being the grand revolutionary experiment to save their kind.

Agreed. A look at their lives as non-humans in terms of a strictly oral tradition of lore, a lack of ability to craft marvels or write like men...this can be very interesting or even challenging play style. Dragon lord may be entirely kept in poetic verse to help their ancient memories. It can actually turn into one of the biggest threats to face dragonkind ó the lack of innovation may be the thing that may kill them off in the end.
Dragon-song as lore is great, similar to how the Koran is sung by Muslims or the Ancient Greeks might have sung the Illiad's poetry to aid memory. It fits the Dragons's physiology and gives them an interesting little feature to their culture. Because their lore is oral Elder Wyrms have to pass their tales down personally. Maybe ritual sharing of Songs was one of the few (or only) times Dragons from different tribes would meet peacefully. The Elder Wyrm might've won over the Dragons to gather in the Spire with a legendary poetry reading of the Dragon's past losses and rare victories through teamwork.

I'd figure Dragons might kind of fear innovation more than non-value it. They'd surely struggle with the concepts, but they'll have to learn to acknowledge the advantages it offers humanoids. When they do they'll realise how hard it is for them to benefit from it as much and compete. Their lack of hands, sheer size and small numbers make it very hard to match the industry of humanoid species and they're going to learn it's a constant game of catch-up against them from now on. I'd compare it to something like brash overconfident WW1 Generals beginning blissfully ignorant of how industrial warfare has changed things but being absolutely horrified and rushing to figure it out when they witness it in action. Except Dragons don't get Artillery or Machine Guns and it's in slow motion played out over centuries.

They might also really like humanoid musical instrumentation to go along with their Dragon-Song. The traditional playing of music to calm a dragon, but with a more scholarly bent. Early legendary scholars or story tellers in this world are probably Bard-types who spent time playing the drums for a great Dragon-Chorus to learn the ancient history of the world.

A thought occurred...what do you think about a strict track or countdown to hibernation? Would that be interesting to put a clock on what you can accomplish before the next advancement of man? Like 6 or 8 scenes? Then, at the end of a session, players can conjecture as to what happens in the world given the dragonsí accomplishments overall. Might be interesting.
I think that'd be great. Two-ish Sessions's worth of time (maybe split more into 2-scene prologue, adventure session, 2-scene epilogue or other combos) is enough time to do something in each age and wrap up loose ends but not too long. That's a virtue when we want a sense of the passing of ages in the game.